Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any City Bow Hunters Here?

Old 11-03-2011, 06:31 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Default Any City Bow Hunters Here?

Today, I stayed over at work and went for a jog before going directly to my boys basketball. Went on a trail near a stream in a small wooded area in MN. Saw a bunch of buck rubs, one very big. And got within 15 yards of two fawns. They only bolted when I motioned like I was pulling back a bow (must be instinct!). At any rate, I checked and sure enough, this small woods was an area for city hunting! Bad part is that it is non-resident for me ($140) so I would pass. But it made me think I could maybe look into a hunt in the neighboring WI city. There are very few deer in our area, but the cities seem to have a lot.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Spike

I hunt the Norther 'burbs in the Chicago area.

Love to bowhunt and hear the garbage truck or school bus going down the road. Makes me smile thinking that those hustling off to work or home have no idea what's going on.

Properties I hunt typically are 20+ acres.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:10 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

This area I was in tonight was probably only 15 acres, if that. It would be so easy to hunt since it had an unused walking trail near the rubs. I think some nature hiker might faint (or call the police) if they ran into me dragging out a bloody dead deer though! The whole setup appeals to me though - stealth hunting. And in an area not hunted I would guess the deer are not nearly as spooky and very used to human scent.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt a city limit spot, but it is privately owned. The spot I hunt is 45 acres. All in the city limits, but the next property over is out of city limits. It is thick, has lots of undergrowth and kudzu in places, but the deer are plentiful! I have killed a few deer on that property, but no big bucks yet. I have seen some big bucks on this property, but have not been able to pull the release on one yet. Folks in general write off city limits spots, so I'd recommend it! My favorite thing about this particular property is that I can be in a tree, having changed clothes and doing all the other necessary things within 15 minutes of having left my office. From the time I crank my truck to the time I have parked and turned it off is less than two minutes! Perfect for those days that I don't have as much time.