Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Should be dead

Old 10-31-2011, 07:28 PM
Spike

i agree with the tracking dog!!! good luck finding him and we want pics when you do!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Spike

FOUND HIM!! My father-in-law was bored yesterday on his day off and figured he would give me a hand. He went up to where I had it marked off where I shot him and where I found blood and started looking. It took all of 40 minutes of looking to actually find the deer. The deer was only 150 yards from where I shot it but being dark with no blood it was near impossible to find that night. The buck died in the only place we didn't look sunday night. haha figures

Here are a couple pics, he scored 120-1/8 gross and 117-1/4 net. Has 8-1/2" g2's and g3's and only 17" spread. Had a little ground shrinkage. haha

I forgot to add my arrow cut the femeral artery off the top of the heart and cut the top of lung off the far side. He was dead before I even got out of my tree stand.

Last edited by chas0218; 11-01-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice job to the father in law to bail you out.
its a nice buck.
i would suggest you keep em inside 30 yards so you can actually find it next time. there wont always be someone there to find it for you.
dont let buck fever help you justify a shot.
its just hunter responsibility.
long shots are possible, but dont usually turn out like this....the person goes back to work, the deer rots in the field, a total waste, and then the next weekend they go and do it all over again.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Glad to see you found him. Nice buck too.
-Jake
Old 11-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck and very nice shot. Thanks for updating us!

Halfbaked, what does the length of his shot have to do with his recovery or lack thereof on the evening of the kill? He made a good heart shot...why would it have mattered if he was 5 or 50 yards away? Would that deer have been any deader? And why do you think the father in law "bailed him out?" How many people post about deer they couldn't find the same day they killed it, but were able to recover after looking a second time the next day? Don't be such a deek.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ground shrinkage or not, that is a great buck! Congrats on the harvest.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Nice buck! Don't worry about all the haters. As long as you feel comfortable taking a 50 yards shot go for it. A lot of people won't, but if you practice it and know exactly how far away the deer is you are just fine.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Nice buck and very nice shot. Thanks for updating us!

Halfbaked, what does the length of his shot have to do with his recovery or lack thereof on the evening of the kill? He made a good heart shot...why would it have mattered if he was 5 or 50 yards away? Would that deer have been any deader? And why do you think the father in law "bailed him out?" How many people post about deer they couldn't find the same day they killed it, but were able to recover after looking a second time the next day? Don't be such a deek.
its good he got good shot placement, and its great the broad heads were good...but had that deer jumped his string at 50 yards, then it woulda been another wounded deer story. call me what you want, i was just saying.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
its good he got good shot placement, and its great the broad heads were good...but had that deer jumped his string at 50 yards, then it woulda been another wounded deer story. call me what you want, i was just saying.
He could have just as easily jumped the string at 30 or 40 yards. Are we not supposed to take those shots either?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Glad you found him! I have had the experience of not finding the deer a couple of times and, it is a terrible feeling. Turned me off so bad that, I did not want to hunt for a week.

On the other hand, when you finally find them, what a great feeling!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.