Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Dont you think its a little overboard?? >

Dont you think its a little overboard??

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dont you think its a little overboard??

Old 10-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

so many variables
we all hunt different circumstances with different needs,
a hunter that hikes all day for miles will have different needs than someone sitting in a treestand all day 100 yds from his car.
and hunter with limited budget is shopping differently than someone with deep pockets

up here seasons vary , should one go get a versatile all season jacket that comes with layers, and all the doodads for $200-$300?
or buy a seperate $50-$100 jacket for each season/condition?

i am all for keeping it simple,
at the same time dont fault someone for preparing himself with every advantage he could afford

why buy a $1000 scope over a $100 scope?
really need to go online and chart the trajectory of your scope/rifle/cartidge?

i wear both $50 walmart budget boots and have had $200 boots,
both serve a purpose
Old 10-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

You guys think you have it tough. I have raised my 19 year old to buy American. He knows how important it is for our nation for us to buy products made by Americans.

Go to BPS or Cabelas and find something made in America and let me know what you find. He is using my dads old Browning boots that were actually made in America.

we did find a company in New Jersey that makes camo in America.

Am I proud? you damn right I am.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:20 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Yes, overboard. Get some nice bib coveralls that have multiple zippers to allow you to open them up when it is warmer. Then swing by K-mart for the rest. If you hunt up north, get an oversized reversable camo/orange "winter coat" that allows you to layer underneath. Also, if you are up north, get some quality -40F type boots big enough to easily fit wool socks - that is one thing you want to spend a bit on. Hunt downwind, store your clothes outdoors away from odors, take a shower before hunting using scent free soap (un-scented laundry soap works), and use a little scent killer spray - all of this only costs a few dollars a year (if that).

Last edited by MZS; 10-29-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I generally just spray down good with scent killer before heading to my stand.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just work the wind. I look at it this way: predator animals hunt by getting downwind and don't rely on scent killers. I don't see why I should. Deer can get within a few feet of you and not know you're there if you have the wind in your face.

I get busted because I got caught moving, fidgeting, making noise, etc.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

If the wind is wrong, thousands of dollars worth of useless scent-resistant products (clothes, sprays, soap, etc. etc. etc.) won't help you. Won't.

BUT if you hunt the wind right, you can pick out $5 worth of clothing at the local thrift shop and you're good to go.

Save your money: hunt with the wind in your favor. Use all the hundreds (if not thousands) you save on a new gun or bow.

Thread over. Move along. Nothing more to see. Nothing more to discuss.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
I just work the wind. I look at it this way: predator animals hunt by getting downwind and don't rely on scent killers. I don't see why I should. Deer can get within a few feet of you and not know you're there if you have the wind in your face.

I get busted because I got caught moving, fidgeting, making noise, etc.
Shot a deer two days ago that got within 20 feet of me. Never had a clue I was there. Why? The wind was in my face. What was I wearing? About $5 worth of thrift-store clothes

And *gasp* I keep my clothes in the house. Wash them in regular old detergent. Don't spray. Don't buy any of that junk. In fact, the morning I went hunting I had to kick our cat off my pile of clothes on the floor before I got dressed.

Stop being fools with your money, people.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

My first question to you is are you married? Because I have had the same hunting clothes minus replacing those from being worn out for years and years...
So if you are married I would ask your wife what happened to your good hunting clothes? Maybe she took them to the Salvation Army hoping that you not being able to find them would keep you home in bed cuddled close to you on those cold mornings!!!! If she denies taking them to the Sal Val does she work for the government... No better way to stimulate the economy than forcing you to go out and buy all new hunting stuff... This could also be a way for her to hide all the stuff she may have been buying at the local Mall...
I do agree that all this scent lock stuff is crazy and out of hand... My grandfather hunted for decades wearing the same clothes he wore in the barn and out in the field... He always stressed pay attention to the wind and if you spook a deer watch behind you because that same deer may run a circle just to see if they can wind you... He also said that if you spend enough time in the woods the deer will become accustom to your scent.... then your part of their "natural" enviroment and they wont be as spooked.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have done most of my bowhunting from the ground over the last few years and killed a lot of deer doing it both does and bucks.

I really take no special precautions except playing the wind.One day I had a large buck coming down a fenceline with a doe.The doe was way in front and I had to let her pass to get the shot at the buck.There was a very small bush in the fenceline and I was behind it, all I could do was curl up as small as possible and hope she didnt notice me.

Long story short she came up and started eating leaves off the bush about 3 ft from where I was sitting and paid no attention to me, the buck on the other hand jumped the fence and came up behind me.He got about 20 yrds from me, stopped, and froze.He never seen me but he turned and more or less tip toed back the way he had come from.He had smelled something he didnt like.I never got a shot but it was a good lesson in deer behavior.

This was on heavily hunted public ground, the wind was blowing hard about 20mph in my face.The doe had to have smelled me because she was just that close, but it wasnt enough to alarm her as there was human scent all over the area.The buck however had barely got into where my scent stream shoulda been and although he didnt freak out and run he was leary enough to not come any closer and spent the rest of the evening about 150-200 yrds away chasing does.

Sometimes depending on the deer, the area and the wind you can get away with a lot, sometimes the slightest hint of smell will send them running away and no clothing, spray, or anything else is going to completely cover your odor up.Ive kiled deer from a few yards away on ground level, and I have had deer that shouldnt have smelled me react and run away so fast you are left scratching your head trying to figure out what happened.I will save my money for new broadheads and skip the scent protection personally
Old 11-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Michlw39
Shot a deer two days ago that got within 20 feet of me. Never had a clue I was there. Why? The wind was in my face. What was I wearing? About $5 worth of thrift-store clothes

And *gasp* I keep my clothes in the house. Wash them in regular old detergent. Don't spray. Don't buy any of that junk. In fact, the morning I went hunting I had to kick our cat off my pile of clothes on the floor before I got dressed.

Stop being fools with your money, people.
X2.... this is exactly what I do! Yesterday I had a buck standing about 10 inches from my ladder on my stand and never knew I was there. You don't NEED any of that over priced crap!.
Live it up! Deerwoods Doug