Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Good Oklahoma Buck

Old 10-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default Good Oklahoma Buck

Yesterday was the opening day of muzzle loader season here in Oklahoma, and it was a good one.

We saw this buck come through at daybreak in the morning and could not get a clear shot.

Yesterday evening a bad hail storm rolled through with golf ball size hail and we thought the hunt was ruined. It finally cleared out just before sunset and everything started to move shortly after. My brother and I were sitting together and my dad was sitting about 350 yards south of us watching over a bottom and different food plot. My brother first spotted a coyote, we thought of shooting him, but passed on the decision. Soon after, 2 bucks came out of the trees and made their way to the food plot 50 yards from where we were sitting. One was a nice 2 1/2 yr old 8 point and the other was 3 1/2 year old 9 point. I then looked down and saw the big buck coming out of the trees where he entered earlier that morning. He worked his way down the draw headed south and stopped quarting to me at just over 100 yards. I drew down on him, squeezed the trigger, and....pop!!! My gun did not fire, the deer stood there looking in our direction and I told my brother to get his gun. He pulled up on him and at the same time a young buck walked behind him. My brother was waiting for the young deer to pass and before he did, the big buck took off to the south towards my dad. I told my dad over the two-way radio that a big deer his headed his way and get ready. He presented my dad with a 100 yard broadside shot and he capitalized. After a interesting tracking job we found him and were celebrating. We have watched this deer for the last 3 years and he finally matured enough to take. He is 24" inside with 5 1/2'' bases and 25'' main beams. He dressed out at 188lbs.

It was a really good day and I am happy for my Pops. After tearing down my gun today, I found out that my powder had gotten wet and my gun would have never fired. Oh well, that's hunting and I am glad dad got him.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like a interesting story,good size buck nice going.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations on a really nice buck.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Spike

Congrats on a nice buck. I can't wait for rifle season next month. I am looking forward to getting my first deer ever. I missed last season due to being in Kuwait.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on a very nice buck.. thanks for posting..