Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Acorn Overload

Old 10-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Acorn Overload

Has anyone ever had the problem of too many acorns falling in their hunting area??? i think i may have that problem. Typically there will be a few spots thats produce and a few that do not. This weekend however, when hunting on a lease in central alabama, i felt in danger of getting a concussion from acorns pelting me in the head everywhere i went.
It is usually easy to pinpoint deer this time of yr down there because of the fact that, like i said, a few places will produce a good crop while most others will not. this year it seems that the deer just arent havein to move to get all the acorns they want. How could i get on deer with this delimna? should i try something new? maybe move in closer to bedding areas? or just keep hangin in the same old spots and hope that one passes through eventually? I mean these old spots have always produced BUNCHES of deer this time of year but the signs just not there like it usually is.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

actually more than 1 type of acorn....i dont know the difference, but the deer here will eat from a few particular tree's...when those are gone they go to the other tree's not 100 yards from the others..they both seem to grow and fall at the same time.they do look a lil different in color...i think they just like one over the other and then will make due with whats left. gl
Old 10-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Spike

I can us a shovel to get acorns around my stand. Will save alot on corn if I would get them.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

White and red oak acorns. Deer like the white better but eat both. Tons of acorns in the oak woods we hunt. This is a GOOD thing!

Last edited by warbirdlover; 10-19-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Theres tons of acorns in NC to.
The deer are not around like before.
I am sure they will be back.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

To many acorns can make for some tough hunting. Deer dont have to travel very far for food. This year are acorns are spotty and I am seeing more deer this year to. Last year we had a bumper crop and saw very few deer. It just runs in cycles.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gregrn43
To many acorns can make for some tough hunting. Deer dont have to travel very far for food. This year are acorns are spotty and I am seeing more deer this year to. Last year we had a bumper crop and saw very few deer. It just runs in cycles.
Same here. I usually have tons of acorns on my property, especially white oaks, but so far this year there are not too many. This is a good thing. Means more movement to look for food. I've seen a lot of does while bow hunting this year. Looks like next month may be good. Too may acorns can be a problem, but I would still rather have too many than none.