Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
deer directly underneath stand >

deer directly underneath stand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer directly underneath stand

Old 10-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Spike

Default deer directly underneath stand

what do you guys think is the best place to shoot from nearly directly below you. i know this shouldnt happen often but it does happen. whats best try to get one lung, spine, maybe even headshot.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Spine, right between the shoulders.

Bow I would not take such a shot, I don't even think I could position myself for that shot ethically or not.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rifle or shot gun .... center of the back about at the junction of the front shoulder blades ... pull the trigger and it is a done deal.

Using archery gear, being that close, even the slightest noise of any sort will tense up the deer. At best it will freeze ... at worse , it'll blow out of there altogether. As far as arrow placement, the target area is relatively small compred to the full broadside. The broadhead must cut something vital. On super close broadside shots, the mistake is often aiming too high. If the deer is facing away, be careful to not get too far forward or you'll miss lung/heart area. If the deer is super close and facing you, a good shot placement is between the front shoulder blades. If the arrow blows through, be prepared for a weird blood trail. It'll usually be good at first then dry up to a trickle or less .... because gut or lung tissue plugs the exit hole. (Been there, doen that). If you can sever the spine, then the deer will not go far if anywhere at all. A broken spine too far back can result in a crippled (down in the back legs) deer that drags itself farther than you might expect before it gives out. So if you are going to try the "spine" shot, close to the front sholder blades is better. Miss a wee bit right or left and you should catch plenty of lung and maybe drive the broadhead into the heart area.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rifle or shot gun .... center of the back about at the junction of the front shoulder blades ... pull the trigger and it is a done deal.

Using archery gear, being that close, even the slightest noise of any sort will tense up the deer. At best it will freeze ... at worse , it'll blow out of there altogether. As far as arrow placement, the target area is relatively small compred to the full broadside. The broadhead must cut something vital. On super close broadside shots, the mistake is often aiming too high. If the deer is facing away, be careful to not get too far forward or you'll miss lung/heart area. If the deer is super close and facing you, a good shot placement is between the front shoulder blades. If the arrow blows through, be prepared for a weird blood trail. It'll usually be good at first then dry up to a trickle or less .... because gut or lung tissue plugs the exit hole. (Been there, doen that). If you can sever the spine, then the deer will not go far if anywhere at all. A broken spine too far back can result in a crippled (down in the back legs) deer that drags itself farther than you might expect before it gives out. So if you are going to try the "spine" shot, close to the front sholder blades is better. Miss a wee bit right or left and you should catch plenty of lung and maybe drive the broadhead into the heart area.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

you mean in this situation? happened to me last saturday but this was just a button head and i let him walk. with a bow i wouldnt ever think of trying a shot straight down like this, but with a gun the deer would of never had a chance to get that close unless it came from behind me
Attached Thumbnails deer directly underneath stand-straightdown.jpg  
Old 10-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

A few years ago I was presented this shot for several minutes and recalled long ago during the archery license class this was qualified a "not to shoot" situation...well after a bit I couldn't help myself so I did draw and did not get busted by the buck; what I did realize though was that while my pins showed a clear shot, the arrow was pointing at my foot!

I'd say if the deer is directly under your stand, as was my case, you wait until it moves out for an archery shot

Firearms? Probably still better to wait, but I will admit to shooting straight down between the shoulders before.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's a no-shot with me if a bow is in my hands...

With my scoped .243, I shoot them in the neck, drops them everytime...
Old 10-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

dont try it with a bow you will get busted every time drawing on them either by the sound of the bow or the ladder moving the slightest bit when you reposition your feet to shoot. i about lost my buck last year when i tried to draw on him right underneath my stand.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Spike

I wouldn't try it with a bow. With a rifle, aim right at the middle of both shoulder blades and you've got a dead deer.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

This shot with a bow often gets one lung, makes for some long blood trails and also lost deer. Wait it out is my advice. With a gun, just center the spine/shoulders. Lights out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.