Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help me judge his age please

Old 10-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Help me judge his age please

I'm usually not to bad at this but I have some pics making him look 4.5 and some looking 2.5. He's a good deer for this part of Virginia but I'm sure he will be better next year. If my mind don't change I'm leaving him this year but....do you think he has peaked and on the way down?

Last edited by sprintflyer; 10-02-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like 1 1/2 to 2 year old.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Truth be told. . .

most every deer has been alive for one president. But it seems he's been in office a long, long time, too.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sprintflyer
I'm usually not to bad at this but I have some pics making him look 4.5 and some looking 2.5. He's a good deer for this part of Virginia but I'm sure he will be better next year. If my mind don't change I'm leaving him this year but....do you think he has peaked and on the way down?
No disrespect intended but ...really only you would know or should know the quality of deer in your area. You said he's good for your part of Virginia and your sure he will be better next year... so what are you asking here for? Do you have an age restriction in your state? Are you just wanting a nice rack because younger deer really are the best eating IMHO. Ultimately you decide if he's the deer for you. Good luck in what ever you decide. My guess would be 2 1/2.
Live it up! Deerwoods Doug
Old 10-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say He's at least a 2 1/2 Year Old Buck with room to grow....if You decide to let him walk I'd put out some mineral licks and food plots to help him along for the next year or 2?He has a very nice rack for being so young,his body is still slim and his kneck is small unlike an older mature Buck with a sagging belly, roman nose and thick neck.I wish I could get up-loading a picture down so I could post some pictures of a Big mature 7-Pointer on my trail camera...he has the body of a big ol fat Cow and thick kneck compared to several smaller Bucks I have on the same camera.