Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How long before opener will you stop working on your property? >

How long before opener will you stop working on your property?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How long before opener will you stop working on your property?

Old 09-27-2011, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How long before opener will you stop working on your property?

I am just now acquiring permission to hunt a large piece of property. Muzzleloader opener is Nov 5th. I want to go out to the property to cut some paths with a gas brushcutter and put up some “no trespassing” signs. In short, what I will be doing will be very invasive, but it will only be a one-time thing. If I can’t go out this Saturday, I can definitely go next. Is it too late? I feel like I will wake up the woods way too much during a hunt if I don’t cut some trails, etc now. It can be thick in certain spots.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Depends. If the land is in an area where Human presence and noise is not unusual than I don't think it will matter. If it's farm land they hear tractors and smell humans all the time for short periods, go for it. One day of racket is not likely to change anything.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the kind of racket I would be making would be highly unusual, especially venturing into the woods to post the property (I want to post it b/c I have had my hunts ruined by trespassers coming from the wooded side). It is a farm, but the fields are planted, left alone and then harvested when ready.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

I have tried in the past to stop going to the property at least 30 days prior

but this year is I had too much going on. Was there with just 3 weeks left

Opener is this weekend, october 1st. Will be finishing a elevated box blind and taking out the afternoon of the 2nd.

Gun season doesn't start till Mid november so it will give em time to get used to it.

Last season I took a stand out on November 5th at 9 pm and put it up, then sat in it the next day and at 9 am I shot a nice 146" 9 pointer with my bow.

Depends on how you get in and out, I took my jeep right out, deer get used to vehicles like farm equipment
Old 09-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

2003 I took out a ladder stand during the first week of firearm season. Did not havea saw so I broke many limbs off to make shooting lanes. I didnt' sit in the stand that night because I thought all the noise I made,however I sat in my elevated box blind 400 yards or so away.

I watched a GIANT wide rack 10 pointer walk right by the stand I just put up an hour earlier. SAD
Old 09-27-2011, 07:58 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I wouldn't worry about it. That is plenty of time. I've hung stands, making hella big racket and seen deer the same day and days afterwards.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess I'll go in there sometime this weekend or next and whack away with that gas-powered engine!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

You should be fine if you get in there now and get it done. The deer will probably love you for clearing paths for them. lol We are in our property all the time during the season and consistently harvest good bucks.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

If You get in now and finish what cutting and trimming needs to be done and let it settle down several weeks or 1 month it should be fine,especially if it rains and washes away any of your scent.....when ever we plant food plots the Deer are walking thru it within 24 hours checking it out and searching for food.Our Deer follow the pathes I cut and rake thru the woods...its cleaner and easier to travel so they love it too...and the best time to hunt a new stand is the same day You hang it,the Deer aren't scared of it or notice it right away!

We plant our food plots in late Sept or early Aug then leave and hang stands by at least the middle of Oct so everything settles down til the middle of Nov so its about 1-month til we Rifle Hunt in November!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 09-29-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't worry about it too much. One thing I do is to try and not be there when I would normally be hunting. From 11 AM til 1 PM is the perfect time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.