Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dang Hogs!!!!!

Old 09-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Spike

Default Dang Hogs!!!!!

I have 10-15 wild hogs coming into my stand. I have a feeder set up and they eat evey last drop of corn and tear the ground up. Whats the best way to get them to move on?
Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Have the hogs . . .

got the lease on your corn feeder ??? Kidding.

Glad I didn't get whole hog into corn feeders and trail cams. Thinking about hauling those bags of corn, about wears me out. Of course, that might be the way to keep the hogs away from the rest of the property.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry to say the only 2 ways I know to get them out is to either fence them out or shoot them. Either of which could interfere with your deer hunting, to say nothing of the cost of fencing. Throw a Hog Party and invite all your friends, but that will likely scare the deer off too.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the world of feral hogs ! I'd bet that if you are regularly seeing 10-15 hogs, you ain't seeing 2x - 3X as many more roaming the area.

There is an area south of Montgomery that I hunt regularly. Feral hogs live in that areas. Have for decades. To give you an idea of what you are facing .... in the spring of 2009, I was invited to a "hog shoot" on about 1100 acres of land that is adjacent NE to the 660 that I hunt. There were about 20 guys as I recall. Probably a ton of grain corn had been out on the place for 3-4 days, piled up in various places. We hunted hogs Saturday and 1/2 day Sunday. At the end of the weekend we had collectively dragged up over 100 hogs. I think the number was something like 116-118. Just cannot recall.

I have hunted the 660 area that I each of the past 3 seasons. Frankly I cannot see any dent that the 2008 "hog fest" had on the numbers that I saw last year compared to 5-10 years ago.

As for me, I shoot every feral that I can. And if you have never tried it, the meat is fine. Especially from sows in the 150 range. Plenty of meat and tasty. The small hogs, 30-60 pounders, are great cooked whole on a spit are hard to beat.

I am convinced that you cannot get rid of these very successful critters. Best you can hope is to keep the numbers in check. Deerdust's suggestion of holding a hog-fest .... I suggest that you do so as soon as practical.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've found that the best way to get rid of them is to eat them...
Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

I am jealous...I wish we had feral hogs in my neck of the woods....it makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

I dead hog eats no corn.

I'd set up stands over trails to hunt deer, and set up over corn to shoot hogs. Shooting a hog would be just as fun as shooting a deer in my opinion. If you are using corn to bait deer, I'd imagine baiting is legal in your state, in which case you might try some mineral attractant that lasts a long time and may not be as attractive to hogs.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I got a group of a couple of guys that wouldnt mind coming down there in February or March and shooting a couple for ya!!! ;-)
Old 09-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Shoot them. If you don't want to shoot them, invite some folks for here to shoot them. It's the ONLY way you'll get rid of them...and even shooting them won't keep the numbers in check really.
-Jake
Old 09-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

I've always wanted to hunt hogs... hint hint!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.