HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dang Hogs!!!!!
Thread: Dang Hogs!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the world of feral hogs ! I'd bet that if you are regularly seeing 10-15 hogs, you ain't seeing 2x - 3X as many more roaming the area.

There is an area south of Montgomery that I hunt regularly. Feral hogs live in that areas. Have for decades. To give you an idea of what you are facing .... in the spring of 2009, I was invited to a "hog shoot" on about 1100 acres of land that is adjacent NE to the 660 that I hunt. There were about 20 guys as I recall. Probably a ton of grain corn had been out on the place for 3-4 days, piled up in various places. We hunted hogs Saturday and 1/2 day Sunday. At the end of the weekend we had collectively dragged up over 100 hogs. I think the number was something like 116-118. Just cannot recall.

I have hunted the 660 area that I each of the past 3 seasons. Frankly I cannot see any dent that the 2008 "hog fest" had on the numbers that I saw last year compared to 5-10 years ago.

As for me, I shoot every feral that I can. And if you have never tried it, the meat is fine. Especially from sows in the 150 range. Plenty of meat and tasty. The small hogs, 30-60 pounders, are great cooked whole on a spit are hard to beat.

I am convinced that you cannot get rid of these very successful critters. Best you can hope is to keep the numbers in check. Deerdust's suggestion of holding a hog-fest .... I suggest that you do so as soon as practical.