Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Which one is better?

Old 09-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt both. Also agree with post above on #2. BUT... #1 and #3 work both ways from the deers side of things. If I'm in a tree I can see much farther through the woods, that also means the deer can see me from farther away. And yes they do tend to look up.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default That's a good question

And I hope one way, one answer, is never thought as normal, every place in America.
Of course, tree stands became popular in archery seasons, because the the shot is short, and the deer has the scent advantage over the hunter at 50 or less yards.
In Gun season in the south, one can still find leaves on the trees, doing the same thing to hunters. Giving the deer the opportunity to scent and movement spot the hunter, before the hunter spots the deer. That requires either a tree stand or ground blind for a hunter, in most cases.

Some tree stands, unfortunately, restrict movement severely. they are either too heavy to move, or just not moveable. You pick a spot and it's there or not there. With a ground blind, you can move and move several times a day, more easily. If in shape, one can move a climbing stand several times a day.

I miss some of my old northern gun season haunts. There I had cold weather in gun season, scent was less important, and I could move rapidly on the ground from one area to another. With the leaves off the tree, I could see some distance, even in a wooded area.

And not everyone is a tree climber. Much is asked of hunters in some tree contraptions, and sometimes too much. And not everyone is in shape to use every kind of tree stand.

So I would go by two rules in a hunting situation. How cold or hot is it where I'm hunting. If it's cold enough and visability is fairly good, ground hunting might be a definite advantage.
Are the leaves on or off the tree and how well can you see, and how far. From that, if it was cold or cool, it would be ground hunting, Warm or hot, some type of close in camouflage is more appropriate. Especially, if the visual range is short.