Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Which of these common practices do you consider cheating?
Bait, corn, salt blocks, etc
24.39%
Game Cameras
1.22%
Cover Scent
0%
All of the them
1.22%
None of them
74.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

WHICH one is cheating?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
I look down on people that can't control themselves. If you really need the meat, then try poaching. Don't give a lame excuse for your short comings like "We need the meat". If you needed food that bad where did you get the money for the extra equipment and bait? The truth is most of you that use every advantage you can are game hogs and just have to show everybody what a big hunter you are. Over the years I have noticed that people that have that attitude are usually walking right on the border of illegal when they hunt. The people that get busted for poaching seem to have the "I got to get a big deer no matter what" attitude. If you guys really need groceries, why not snare deer and rabbits or go "Fishing" for turkeys and geese? What it comes down to is the guys in my camp don't listen to BS and don't hunt with people that do. The ugly truth is you are just not good enough and never will be.
Oh I am that good. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a good shot on a fawn in the dark?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Typical Buck

People just need to stop focusing so much negative energy on the way other people hunt.

I live in an urban area and drive over an hour each way to hunt, and where I live I am lucky to meet another hunter of any kind. Anyone who enjoys hunting or shooting sports safely and legally deserves some respect and deference in my opinion.

I shot my first deer over a corn pile (legal in SC) using a .30-06 and 4-12x scope at about 70 yards. Obviously it wasn't the greatest hunting feat, but I was enjoying the great outdoors with friends and I had a good time. Since then I have killed another buck with my rifle, and last year I took my first archery buck on free range land with fairly high hunting pressure, no bait, no scent lures, and very little agriculture nearby. Some of you guys getting high and mighty are hunting with rifles over corn fields, and some of you have properties that no one else hunts. That is a lot easier than the way I now hunt, but I still wouldn't call your method cheating.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it's legal, it can't really be called cheating.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Spike

Default poll response

My reply to the poll question was that none of the methods was, in my opinion, cheating. This is, of course, if they are legal in the area you are hunting.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I've been cheating my whole life with deer

Ever since I carried that first rifle into the woods. Knew for certain that I wasn't going to catch a deer on foot.