Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to the site!!

Old 08-10-2003, 06:02 PM

Default New to the site!!

Hey everyone it' s good to be here !! Just found this site and I think it' s great to have a place like this for those of us who have a passion for deer hunting. I live in northern Maine where hunting is a tradition and a way of life. I have taken a few nice deer over the years (I am 24), and am looking forward to the upcoming season! One buck in particular has been haunting my dreams since he eluded me last year. He is a true monster that we estimate will dress out at 300 pounds or more. His rubs are absolutely enormous, reaching over my head and I am 6' 5" !! It would be a dream come true to slap my tag on him this fall!

A little about my hunting style:
I don' t own a treestand and don' t really feel a need for one since my current strategies have earned me three bucks over 200 lbs. and numerous smaller bucks.
My hunting style is a mix of tracking, still-hunting, and sitting in homemade ground blinds. The thick woods of Maine can be quite challenging to hunt, and often you have to change your strategy as the deer change their patterns. Often a days hunt will include scouting a large perimeter to determine where the deer currently are, and then setting up in a likely spot for an ambush. More often than not the deer prevail, but once in a while (with the help of a little luck), the plan plays out picture-perfect and I end up with a nice trophy and some venison for the freezer. Many of the local tagging stations hold a " big buck club" competition, where the hunter to bag the heaviest buck takes the cash. It' s a nice bonus since the purse often reaches over $1,000!! The biggest buck I have bagged so far weighed in at 234 lbs., which came within 6 pounds of winning it. Hunting is not about competition of course, but it is always fun to be there when someone weighs in a big buck and listen to the stories they have to tell.

Well I' ll stop rambling for now ......just wanted to introduce myself to everyone and wish all of us luck this coming season!
Old 08-10-2003, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to the site!!

Welcome aboard and good luck this season with that monster buck...
Old 08-10-2003, 08:19 PM
nub

Welcome Split-Hoof. You guys grow' em big up there. Sure that aint a moose rubbin them trees over your head? Do you bowhunt also?
Old 08-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

welcome split, if there is anything to be learned u will learn it here, welcome.....[8D]
Old 08-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome aboard the board Split-Hoof, are those weights field dressed or on the hoof? I know you alls deer run bigger than ours, the biggest buck I have ever killed dressed out at 175 and for Va. he was a big buck, they do get bigger though, my cousin killed one that dressed at 210.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

Hello Split...Welcome to the site. I love them big Maine woods with them bruiser bucks. I hunt in Waldo county with friends and family every year. We also go up country now and then to one of the brothers camp. I have seen the biggest buck I have ever seen up there a few years back.

I aint no flatlander....

JJ
Old 08-11-2003, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Split...Welcome aboard. I have hunted your state since the early 70' s and have spent many days trying to fill my tag in the Old Town area, (LaGrange/Milo) as well as in the Lincoln areas (Burlington/Lowell)....Good luck on that bruise this year...I also hunt my own state and have taken a few nice bucks over the years both in NH and Maine. You can see deer in Maine (and somewhat in NH) anytime or anyplace that will absolutely take your breath away. The racks are definitely respectable but it' s the body weight that' s so impressive.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hello and welcome to the board, Split-Hoof
Old 08-11-2003, 03:38 PM

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2003, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the forum split-hoof. What do you use to kill those maine monsters?

Quick Reply: New to the site!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.