Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

To some, baiting is an ethical choice. One I am against, personally.
I have no qualms against others doing it here in WI, as I choose no to.
The grape idea is a good one.

The best idea, is to hunt areas that the deer already frequent. Such as natural food sources, grapes, acorns, and others.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sevi316,

Good luck with your hunting endeavors!

When you are successful, I for one would love to see the photos. I would also enjoy your recount of the hunt.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
To some, baiting is an ethical choice. One I am against, personally.
I have no qualms against others doing it here in WI, as I choose no to.
The grape idea is a good one.

The best idea, is to hunt areas that the deer already frequent. Such as natural food sources, grapes, acorns, and others.
easy to say when you live in a place where it RAINS!!!!!!
here...where it doesnt rain, the vegetation doesnt grow for deer to eat...so you find dead deer laying all over...from dehydration and starvation......a typical deer in some parts of texas may actually NEVER take a drink of water in their LIFETIME!!!!!
sick sumabiotches..ya walk in that door on your 2 legs all fat and ****y...lookin at me in my chair...and you tell me its all in my head?!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by srwshooter
i feed them in my yard,but i will never hunt over it.

its just to easy.
Depends on where you are hunting. I have run a couple feeders on my property for at least 20 years. In that time, I, nor anyone else hunting my property have never seen a buck larger than a spike feeding at a feeder, and I have plenty of bucks. I may hunt a feeder a few times a year with my bow, but I usually end up only taking one doe, and that's primarily because the deer here are just too wary to eat at a feeder during daylight hours, even the does. I just like to give the deer and turkeys a little extra to eat, especially if it's a bad acorn crop. I do not hunt a feeder during firearm season. Now, in Texas, with the horrible drought they are having, it would probably be pretty easy. There may not be any other option there this season but to hunt feeders. It may be the only food source they have for a while.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Spike

I have found trying several different thing to see what works for your area. Salt lick,mineral lick,deer co cain, corn, apples, after Halloween collect up everyone's old pumpkins. You will soon find out what they are focusing on the most and keep putting it out. It is hard to beat apples now sometimes if a deer has never seen or ate an apple it could take some time but once they do they will tear them up. JMO
Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt primarily in Al. where creating a food plot is Ok, but using any form of loose feed as "bait" is not. Hunting on or near food plots has proven to be is very productive. And I also hunt in Arkansas where there are food plots as well as the use of "bait" is allowed. On that property 5 spin feeders have been set up. These are set to spin for about 10 - 15 seconds about 30 min. after daybreak and about 30 min. before dark. I have hunted there now for going on 11 years now, often "on" or near these feeders. I have yet to see a deer using any of these feeders in daylight hours, while I have seen 100's of deer on the food plots. Trail camera shots on the feeders indicates that there is plenty of feeding going on after dark. My opinion, you are better off creating food plots than using loose bait.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

I have lived and hunted in Tx where baiting is legal,and in South Tx its almost a necessity due to the brush, now I live in MS where we can't bait, but I have no qualms about it.. While in TX my Dad handled most of the baiting "mixures" Which included mixing corn with anything from Vanilla Extract to Dr Pepper..
Old 08-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
easy to say when you live in a place where it RAINS!!!!!!
here...where it doesnt rain, the vegetation doesnt grow for deer to eat...so you find dead deer laying all over...from dehydration and starvation......a typical deer in some parts of texas may actually NEVER take a drink of water in their LIFETIME!!!!!
sick sumabiotches..ya walk in that door on your 2 legs all fat and ****y...lookin at me in my chair...and you tell me its all in my head?!!!

We have so much of that wet **** around here right now, I'll send ya some halfbaked.

There are still areas that can be hunted, EVEN IN TX, without bait.

Like I said, I don't think its ethical, but don't begrudge those who choose to, for any reason.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing that would draw the Deer in more would be to put out a mineral and salt lick,they would benifit from it and could come in at any time to use it.I have been using the "Lucky Buck" mineral and have also put out a salt block and a Arm & Hammer salt lick also...we are allowed to put out any minerals and salt as long as no corn or any type of grain is added in because any Baiting is not allowed in Missouri....so we plant food plots.To me whatever is allowed in Your certain State is what the Laws of Your States decide is fine to do or allow and should be followed,I'm not in total agreement with some Laws but follow the rules and do what I can to stay within the boundaries.Sure we put out food plots to draw in for an easy Hunt or for a Younger Youth Hunter to use to their benefit...still if a Person wants to hunt and harvest a nice Big Mature Buck Your going to have to hunt smarter,read different Deer signs,stay as scent-free as possible and go into the deep woods or thicker cover where the Deer will be traveling more or hiding in.

I know of a few items that can be used to last longer for a Bait Pile....the Buck Jam is a thicker substances as mentioned that can be added to different type grains,tree stumps and is absorbed in the ground and last a long time,the Acorn Rage is another grain type bait that is soybean and acorn base type and there's another bait that contains mostly beets in it among several other feeds and grains made to attract Deer.Funny thing is all these products are made available to Us here in Missouri yet its against the Law to "Bait" Deer..we can put it out for trail camera use etc but all grains have to be totally removed 10 days before any Hunting Season.

Last edited by GTOHunter; 08-03-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Spike

Good advice from the other fellas. One additional thing I would add is to try and setup the bait in an area near where the deer are already feeding, it makes them start on it much quicker in our experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.