Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help me age this guy.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Spike

Default Agree

Originally Posted by reds10ss
def. mature buck! 4-5 year old
Right on 5+
Old 07-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Spike

4 year old for sure maybe 5
Old 07-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

i cant believe everyone is always stuck on 4 or 5 years old..not just on this one, but almost all the "guess this guys age" posts..deer can live to be 19 years old. thats like a 104 year old human..maybe 111..rare, but to think deer only live to be 6 or 8 years old is malarky. most live that long cause they are shot, if they are lucky.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i cant believe everyone is always stuck on 4 or 5 years old..not just on this one, but almost all the "guess this guys age" posts..deer can live to be 19 years old. thats like a 104 year old human..maybe 111..rare, but to think deer only live to be 6 or 8 years old is malarky. most live that long cause they are shot, if they are lucky.
In that case I'll guess him at fourteen.

Last edited by deerdust; 07-22-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

4-5 yo. Brisket says it all in the head on shot. You need to find out when and where he is moving. Get on him early, he didn't get that big by ignoring the abundant influx of human scent during hunting season. He'll be moving during the rut, it's just a question of when and where.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Do we have any wildlife biologists onboard here? Most deer that are killed in the woods by hunters are 1-5 years old and occasionally 6-8 years old. Jawbones tell it all. I have never seen a whitetail jawbone aged anything over 12(those were from the 60's), and I've seen a lot of aged jawbones. Not saying it isn't possible, just saying never heard of it.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deerdust
In that case I'll guess him at fourteen.
lmao thx dd
Old 07-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer can live to be older..however the oldest deer was a doe aged at 22yrs old in CAPTIVITY! ! Typically wild deer succumb to GASP..disease such a cwd or recently blue tongue (I.h.d) ipizootic hemorrhage disease. Wild bucks do not live as long for another reason is the stress the bucks go through physically cause of the rut. Also motor vehicle accidents...fights..ext....so yes the average age for most deer in their prime is 4-6 years old with proper nutrition and pleny of food so the older bucks don't have to compete and be ran off by healthier stronger bucks. So again this paricular buck is 4-5yrs old..your honor the defense rests its case.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

i see your 5 and raise ya one er two more. minimum. he is an old dude and will die an old dude in the woods without ever seeing a bullet. he is a night owl, and it would take bending the law to catch this sucker. might be 10 er 15 y/o.
There is no freakin way that deer is that old! Lmao his neck and shoulders stilll have muscle seperation! Brother I know your from texas but damn son! Lol u should look up on the web of known aged deer and look at the differences in body structure. You don't just age a deer based off the size of bone on its head.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TURKEY FAN
Deer can live to be older..however the oldest deer was a doe aged at 22yrs old in CAPTIVITY! ! Typically wild deer succumb to GASP..disease such a cwd or recently blue tongue (I.h.d) ipizootic hemorrhage disease. Wild bucks do not live as long for another reason is the stress the bucks go through physically cause of the rut. Also motor vehicle accidents...fights..ext....so yes the average age for most deer in their prime is 4-6 years old with proper nutrition and pleny of food so the older bucks don't have to compete and be ran off by healthier stronger bucks. So again this paricular buck is 4-5yrs old..your honor the defense rests its case.

Good to know. thanks! Learn something new everyday. Where did you study at???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.