Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 01-28-2002, 12:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-28-2002, 01:44 PM

Default RE: Scrapes?

I have made what you call a fake scrape or mock scrape before.It is made by using a stick or branch and raking away an area like a buck would paw away the leaves and then he urinates in the scrape.The way to tell a mock scrape from a real scrape would be to look for a branch or branches above the scrape.A buck will usually chew and break some of them off.They call this the licking stick.It is also a way that the buck leaves his scent markings.Also look in the scrape itself for deer tracks and if you find a scrape,take a stick and smooth out the leaves and tracks and check it at a later time for deer sign.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:03 PM

HNI: Just out of curiosity, have you ever hunted before. I see you have over 500 posts (Monster Buck Status) and you seem to be asking some very wierd questions. Not putting you down, but whats your story mate?

The outdoors is yours, treat it with RESPECT!!!
Old 01-28-2002, 03:07 PM

Buckforme~~the HNI Visitor are questions posted by admin. of this site. They are questions that people e-mail the admin. It is not the same questioner every time. Just FYI. I did not know this either until it was pointed out by a mod.

Dan Blair
Old 01-28-2002, 07:43 PM

I was starting to wonder the same thing thanks for answering that for me alot of scrapes happen during the rutt. P.S. take a youngster keep hunting alive
Old 01-28-2002, 08:09 PM

I have made Mock (fake) scrapes, put them below overhanging limbs, then urinated in it. I have had bucks DESTROY that scrape, then make their own scrape a few feet away. Some get so mad they tear up small pines, break limbs off trees, etc. Mess with their scrape and they have another temper tantrum. I sometimes like to shake them up a little. Lord knows they love to drive me up the wall when I'm hunting them.
Old 01-29-2002, 01:12 PM

Thanks, was not sure what the deal was....now i know.