Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Stands Down Rottweiler

Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer Stands Down Rottweiler

I'm working from home today. I look at the window and see 3 deer standing in the back yard. I go out to the deck to get a better look. Then, the Rottweiler behind us starts barking at the fence.

Do the deer run away? No!!! They actually walked right up to the fence where the rottie was standing and barking at them. The lead deer flared out its tail and started stomping. The dog actually backed up about 20 yards!!! Then all three deer jumped the fence, charged the dog and chased the dog back to his deck. Then they crossed that yard without thinking twice while the dog stood there on the porch - just watching!!!

I mean, the deer were bigger than the dog and there were three of them. But I can't believe the balls of these deer to back off that Rottweiler!!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope I never meet these three in the woods without a gun,thats pretty agressive for deer not out of their minds in the rut.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe the deer have rabbies. Seems like completely unnecessary and risky behavior.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

lol puhhh leeeze..
deer will jack up the normal house dog.
them hooves are like mini bricks.
them deer know how ta box.
that dog knows it.
maybe if he stood his ground, the others might not have followed, could be the dog had his arse handed to him b4 from these same deer lol
Old 03-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think suburban deer know all the local dogs very well. Their main trail goes between our fence and the neighbor's and we both have dogs. This is where I have my corn pile and trail camera.

I think both the deer and the dogs don't want to fight and rely on bluffing each other. This time, the dog was barking at the fence as a bluff. When the 3 deer came right to him, he knew it was fight or flight. Since he didn't want to fight 3 adult deer, he retreated.

I'm not surprised the dog eventually backed down. I was surprised that the deer didn't. Especially when they jumped the fence and joined the dog in his yard.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Still, that would have been pretty cool to watch.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was very cool to watch. I thought I caught the whole thing on video but I guess I screwed up.

Stupid cell phone video camera.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

That would be awesome to see. I can't say the deer around my house do the same. When my dobermans spots em, they run, and run and run.

Can you imagine a big ole buck decided to woop our butts. Just hide while we are walking by and start goring.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

They were bucks. The medium sized one still had a half-rack. Looked like a small 8-point. The lead buck was well over 200lbs but had no head gear. The deer was way bigger than the dog, and the dog was a big rottie.

We can't bait in PA. But I don't see anything in the book about wearing a dog costume
Old 03-22-2011, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BCRules
That would be awesome to see. I can't say the deer around my house do the same. When my dobermans spots em, they run, and run and run.

Can you imagine a big ole buck decided to woop our butts. Just hide while we are walking by and start goring.
Thats why I hide up in a tree and behind it and wear camoflage sometimes so when they are coming so they don't see me!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.