Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new hunter

Old 02-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Spike

Default new hunter

I want to start hunting but there is not much i know in order to get me started. if anyone has any tips or advoce they can give i'd really appreciate it thanks!
Old 02-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Spend a day at your local shotgun or rifle range.

Ask them when the next hunter safety course will be held, and attend it to start.

You're gonna love it !

Keep us posted as to how you're doing.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Read a lot of Books,get a few Hunting Magazines like Deer and Deer Hunting,Field & Stream,Outdoor Life,North American Whitetail and Bowhunters Magazine...rent several Drury Outdoors Hunting Video's and take it all in...see if You can go Hunting with someone that is Experienced in Hunting and go for walks in the outdoors.

There are several Books at the Library that You can read up on about looking for Deer sign and if You have any Land/Property You can go on set up a trail camera or 2 and enjoy the wildlife pictures.Go to some local Deer Classics or Outdoor Shows and get some info on Hunting...ask a lot of questions here and most will try to help You learn!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:49 AM
Spike

You can learn everything you ever wanted to on this website.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by KANSAS31
You can learn everything you ever wanted to on this website.

That's a joke...I've been hunting over 40 years, you think I have time to sit here and type out eveything I ever learned???
Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Spike

okay thanks any recommended trail cameras i should get?
also any bows you could recommend that i should think about getting?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Spike

do you have your hunters' safety? that's the first thing to do, can't do any real hunting without it. i'm taking it now with my daughter. We're having a great time. You'll learn alot there, then ask questions when you have them.

what do you want to hunt for? what kind of guns do you have or have access to? although i can't offer much advice, we may have the same questions. I'm here to learn as well.

good luck
Old 02-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Spike

I must have been replying the same time you were. I see your into bows. i haven't had much experience with them except what we took in hunters' safety. so again good luck.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Spike

i dont really have access to anything im the only one in my family even interested in hunting. but i do want to hunt whitetail deer. I've been saying i want to start for awhile but just the other day i decided im gonna start this now instead of just saying im going to so this has been my first step. i did have someone that could of helped me but he can't help me anymore so im kinda on my own.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If Your going to start out with a Bow I recomend buying a good used one and trying to start out with it first,do a lot of target practicing and get efficent/good with it at 10 yards,20 and 30 and finally 40 yards out.As far as a brand new Youth/Womens Bow the Mission Menace is a very good smooth Bow made by Matthews.If You decide on buying a new Bow try as many out in Your price range at a reputable Archery Shop and make a decision after You find one that is comfortable to hold and shot.

Hunting Whitetails with a Bow is very challenging and takes a lot more time and patients to say the least...You also need be able to draw a certain amount of poundage on a Bow to be able to legally shot a Deer...check in Your State Wildlife Handbook or ask someone if there is a certain poundage limit?

Check out the Trail Camera Section here to see the different Trail Camera's that everyone uses and or reccomends.Personally I have had great luck with the Moultrie Brand Camera's specifically the D-55IR ($99.00 to $120.00 price range)that has great battery life and it takes day-time color and night-time IR (black & white) pictures.The D-55 is good also and the Cuddeback "Capture" Flash ($200.00 price range or less) camera is a good one also.

Last edited by GTOHunter; 02-27-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.