Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mineral Licks

Old 02-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mineral Licks

Hey thinking of trying a different mineral lick/block this upcoming spring. Just seeing what everybodys using and whats working out best for them?

I live in Ontario Canada.

Pat
Old 02-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mix of NaCl (white salt) and Di-Calcium Phosphate (Di-Cal). Two parts salt to one part Di-Cal. Both are granular and come in 50# bags. Can get at any farmer's feed/seed store. Been using a mix similar to this since around 1980. Salt gets them using the lick and di-cal does them good. Cost is about $6 for salt and $25 for Di-Cal. Just put out 3000# of this mix - 150# in each of 20 lick areas on the 3150 acres I hunt. Have one area on a clay bank hill side that started 30 years ago with a few bags busted over a heart pine stump that is now a "tunnel" into the hillside that is about 6' tall, 4' wide and into the hillside another 8' - 10'.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put out a plain white salt block and the Deer hit it and use it year round,the minerals I have found to work really well is the brand "Lucky Buck" in a 20-30lb bucket.It has more mineral content than any other type I've seen out there on the market and the Deer really like it!I have also used the "Trophy Rock" and the Deer like it also and it is a natural mineral that they crave.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Spike

I'm thinking of these one. Just posted about it.

http://www.pawdup.com

Have hogs issues and the mineral rocks I use get move around and trashed by hogs.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

I personally liked antler king mineral blocks the deer seemed to love it!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:57 AM
Fork Horn

Champions Choice Selenium 90 is my choice for Spring and through out the Summer I replennish with regular white salt. Selenium is used to fight infections in cattle. Have used both these salts for several years with great success.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:08 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by dbllunged
Champions Choice Selenium 90 is my choice for Spring and through out the Summer I replennish with regular white salt. Selenium is used to fight infections in cattle. Have used both these salts for several years with great success.
You have to be careful with Selenium as it is toxic if the deer over eat it. You are right though, it is good for the deer in small quantities and it is also deficient in soil levels throughout the midwest and more. Lucky Buck mineral has a good amount of selenium in the ingredient as well as aggressive levels of other trace minerals. Their secret is the high salt level which limits how much the deer consume because deer will not over eat on salt. So if you don't want to take the chance of actually harming the deer population in your area, just go with the Lucky Buck mineral. www.lucky-buck.com