Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How old is he??

Old 02-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by vl Whitetail Genereal lv
He is on my ground on and some of the ground around..so yes it is possible for someone else to get him. In my area I have a reallly good area to hunt deer and a lot of people like to road hunt around here. This year someone was actually looking at deer on my tree line and I had to tell them to get out of there and it turns out the deer they were looking at was the 8 ponter I shot.

So I guess I do run a high risk of letting someone else shoot him but i suppose there isn't really a way to want him to hang around??

By the way I hunt in a grove at my great uncles farm place, and he isn't home very much so sometimes I find tracks in his yard and droppings right in the yard.

then I would say improve the habitat if necesary ie. plant trees...tall grass...give them a place to hide and feel cofortable
put up lotys of NO HUNTING signs..sometimes will help with the road hunters although it won't stop them all..I've had deer shot on my ground and they HAD to have had the no hunting sign in the sight picture in their scope (I tested looking thru scope where the deer ran/walked/stood...snow on ground and bloody trail from where it died back to the road...bastages!!)

maybe have a source of food to keep em on your ground ei. corn spinner feeder or whatever (iff legal in Minn.)

is there water on your property?

if ya can hold the does(key!!!) the bucks will visit if they don't allready live there

3 things hold deer....water, food and secluded place to hide...ie.tall grass etc.....if no tall grass... plant some..talk to soil conservation guy...he will tell ya what grass works best in your area..explain to him/her what klind of soil you intend to put it on...put it as secluded/ far from road as property allows....wet/dry or whatever...he will suggest whats best
cattails is very tall and seams to work for deer bedding area..but no seed for it and it MUST be wet year round..maybe go with a grass you can put where desired....there are other grass that is very good also
hope it works out for ya sir!!

Last edited by farmdude01; 02-16-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

yes it does help me and ya the deer water source is a large dredge ditch. There are several does that hang around there all year and I was considering planting some CRP grass near the treeline also.

Yes and i put out three no hunting signs and parked trunks around and some guys dpnt seem to care!!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

yes it does help me and ya the deer water source is a large dredge ditch. There are several does that hang around there all year and I was considering planting some CRP grass near the treeline also.

Yes and i put out three no hunting signs and parked trunks around and some guys dpnt seem to care!!
water there spring, summer,fall...on your ground I hope

CRP grass would be fine...get the tallest variety you can...check with soil conservation guy or a farmer that has CRP in your area

sounds like ya got a real good start...now finish the plan

I wish ya luck!!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Yup i can see the ditch from my stand..and thanks a lot for your help sir
Old 02-16-2011, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Yup i can see the ditch from my stand..and thanks a lot for your help sir
no problem...I like to help if I can!!
Old 02-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

When people on hunting shows say how old a deer there looking at from a stand is The 1st thing out of my wifes mouth is (usually dripping with sarcasim) how in the world do they know how old that deer is were they there when it was born. Its always good for a chuckle
Old 02-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by oldshedhunter35
When people on hunting shows say how old a deer there looking at from a stand is The 1st thing out of my wifes mouth is (usually dripping with sarcasim) how in the world do they know how old that deer is were they there when it was born. Its always good for a chuckle
study deer long enough and some can tell by characteristic of their body..I'm fair until about 4-5 then I don't know for sure....some people though can tell how old in a heartbeat!!!