Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tennessee survivor

Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

To me he is right in the middle of what you two are saying. Bronc, I agree with nate you are off on his browtine lengths. Nate, the way bronc was saying his antlers curve does make the difference in inches your counting off. If you look at the last picture you will easily be able to tell his right G2 is well over 11 inches. Atleast 13. His left G3 is almost the same length of his G2 if you look close enough. I'm bad at scoring but I have a feeling 152 is a little low, he will probably only get a high 150 or low 160 though.

Here's what I think he has:

Main beams:
Right-22
Left-24
total-46

Browtines:
Left-1 1/2
Right-1 1/2
total=3 inches

G2s:
Left-12 1/2
Right-14
total=26 1/2

G3s:
Left-12
Right-11 1/2
total=23 1/3

G4s:
Left-4
Right-5
Total=9

Spread=about 16-18 so I'll say 17

H= idk what that is, mass? I'll just use your number-34

Which totals 159 inches

In the end idc what he scores right now, he might grow 10 inches next year. Even if he doesn't the highest typical deer I've seen killed around here is 149 gross. Other than that a couple 135 inch 8's and a nontypical 22 point but I don't know his score. I'm definately proud to have him on my farm. btw I'll definately be looking for his sheds when I can.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Spike

Default How did this turn out??

How did this turn out. Did that young man connect with and collect that very good deer?

Bronc
Old 04-25-2012, 02:42 AM
Typical Buck

Definitely a very nice buck.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

I don't recall seeing any posts that MC got this. Hopefully he sees the thread and can comment in it.
-Jake
Old 04-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd go with high 150s to low 160s on that buck, as his G2 and 3s are definitely longer than what some have stated. Hope someone got him other than the yotes or does this year if he's still alive as he's a nice one.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Spike

good looking buck! great length! good luck this year !
Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a really nice buck no matter where you hunt. He'll sure be fun to go after next year. If he made it to late January with the light winter we had he'll be a dandy next year. I have no reason to think he's reached his potential yet.

That spike with him might be a buck he is running with. A lot of large bucks take on a very young buck late in the season for some reason. Not sure if its to mentor or what but its a pretty common occurance. I saw my target buck last day of the season (A monster 10 point) running with a 3 pt. Unfortunately, the 3 point snuck in while I was watching the 10 point. They trotted off together only to make me dream of next year.

Good luck with him and let us know how he progresses over the year!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Spike

Default Still Impressive

Looking at those pictures again--that's a DARN good deer. I think that's the best Tennessee deer I've ever seen. He has a very unique look to his antlers.

Does his body look really thin in those pictures? His body shape is completely different than Kansas deer (really short bodied) and I'm having trouble aging him. Looking at his body again, I'm thinking he looks younger than I thought.

These silly things. That deer may be right there, but after they get to 4 1/2 y.o. they get REALLY difficult to find again--even in the rut.

Question: Are all West Tennessee deer short-bodied like that? (Compared to a Kansas deer he looks like he's missing three or four ribs!!

Bronc

Last edited by Broncazonk; 05-03-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Spike

Default Pilot Bucks

Originally Posted by fastetti
That spike with him might be a buck he is running with. A lot of large bucks take on a very young buck late in the season for some reason. Not sure if its to mentor or what but its a pretty common occurance.
They do this in Kansas as well, even during the rut. It's always a 2 1/2 y.o. or long yearling, nothing any older, and usually a 2 1/2 y.o..

I call the young ones, "pilot bucks," and I agree, I've seen quite a few VERY LARGE bucks during the rut with one and even two pilot bucks.

Bronc
Old 05-05-2012, 04:33 AM
Spike

i wonder if those brow tines, have gotten broken, they look way to short for that rack.

here is a deer my brother killed last season, on our lonesome hollow farm, that looks to be in the same class, and proportions, but the brow tines are a tad over 8 inches on this lonesome hollow buck, green score was 162

Last edited by ky wonder; 05-05-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.