Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A Newbie on IR Trail Cams

Old 02-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A Newbie on IR Trail Cams

Do those hunter IR trail cams give off any detectable light to a hunter or person nearby? Something humans can actually see?

I thought maybe they added some light to chase off some people wanting to steal the feeder?
Old 02-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

On most IR cams, you would have to be looking directly at it to see the IR array. It is not going to make a flash like a white-flash camera would. There are some black flash models on the market that give off no detectable light.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 02-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may see a light red glow,but like PastorJim mentioned You would have to looking right at it and be fairly close to even see it!If You set the Camera up high and aim down the Deer won't even know its there,they can detect it a little when its eye level to them but I think it doesn't scare them as bad as my old Flash Camera use to do?
Old 02-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Let's see if I get this straight

Some IR "flashes" or "light" can be seen by humans. But some IR cams have "black flashes" that give off no light to humans. So calling an IR, a trail cam with no visual light, is incorrect.

For example. If I wanted to use trail cam for detecting deer and/or detecting humans, I'd want an IR with a black flash. All IR's could work for deer. But not all IR's would work with humans.

My error was originally assuming that all IR trail cams gave off no light at all. Of course, IR is better than camera "white flash".

Am I starting to get the lingo down?

Thanks.