Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Hunting on private property the only option? >

Hunting on private property the only option?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting on private property the only option?

Old 01-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Spike

Default Hunting on private property the only option?

I have never been hunting, no one ever took me. I never got into it with my father, any other family members, or any buddies. I only recently got into guns on my own. I would like to go hunting in the future and I am curious about a few things. One is where to actually hunt. As far as I can tell the only place to go out and actually hunt is on private property with the permission of the owner. The few people I have talked to seem to always say something like 'I always go to my grandfathers out in' some county. Is this generally the only place to hunt and shoot? I am in Northern Virginia.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Spike

That's awesome. I would like to go hunting, I would new a different rifle though. My Colt AR-15 HBAR is a precision version (as opposed to tactical) but is a .223. My understanding is that minimum caliber to hunt deer in VA is .23. I would also prefer to go with someone, besides the buddy system I wouldn't know what all to do and what not to do, how to do it, etc.

On private lands you have to be at least 100 yards from anyone else's property to hunt without their permission, correct?
Old 01-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Have you taken the Hunter Safety Course yet?
Old 01-18-2011, 02:29 AM
Spike

No, not even close to actually being ready to start hunting yet, I was just jurious about this.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by brianspetcare
I have never been hunting, no one ever took me. I never got into it with my father, any other family members, or any buddies. I only recently got into guns on my own. I would like to go hunting in the future and I am curious about a few things. One is where to actually hunt. As far as I can tell the only place to go out and actually hunt is on private property with the permission of the owner. The few people I have talked to seem to always say something like 'I always go to my grandfathers out in' some county. Is this generally the only place to hunt and shoot? I am in Northern Virginia.
I am in the same position as you. Never really hunted. Outside of the trigger happy kid with a .22 stuff where you shoot anything that moves. Never picked it up but have been into guns for many years. I am 37 now and decided to try my hand. I actually bought 20 acres just to hunt on. Small I realize but I figure it's a start.

Not in VA of course but I just thought I would mention how similar our situations are.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Since you use the computer

Find out who runs hunting in your state. Study their website. Study where on there public hunting is offered. Some states, such as PA have land available on state owned forests. If little is available, check on who owns land in nearby counties and if that is by a public corporation. Is it leased or a hunting fee available that you could pay?

Some hunters never use public land where they've never been. Hunting solo offers some great advantages. You don't have to worry about never being there before.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

I have a buddy that has killed about 10 deer with his .223 it is an AR15.You have to focus on shot placement.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Spike

That is not the issue, it is that VA requires at least a .23 to hunt deer.