Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Indiana Hunters, big changes for next year. >

Indiana Hunters, big changes for next year.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Indiana Hunters, big changes for next year.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default Indiana Hunters, big changes for next year.

Indiana made a change a few years ago allowing only 1 buck per person for the entire year. Many people have seen the benefit of this rule and Indiana recently passed new changes for next year. Including allowing crossbow to be used from Oct.1 to the first Sunday in Jan. A special firearms antler less only season at the end of the year. The ached link has all the details for those interested. I for one might be getting a crossbow not that it can be used in the early season and can be used to kill a buck as well. In the past crossbows could only be used during the late archery season and for antler less kills only. Unless you had a medical condition that stopped you from using a traditional bow.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2362.htm
Old 01-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

I heard Illinois was going to do that years ago,I like my bow to much and couldnt afford to run both a bow and a crossbow.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

IL needs to goto earn a 2nd buck tag, but I'm sure tons of guys would just have their brothers, cousins, etc...who don't hunt tag a buck for them, then just go shoot another buck.

It may help a lil though.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

• Changes the archery season to a single season that runs from October 1 through the first Sunday in January

I kind of liked the week off.

I don't support crossbows hunting, sorry.
Point and shoot does not belong in archery.

And next year, as in 2012.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

I REALLY like the shoot a doe first in the Urban zone.

I hunt Urban around Ft. Wayne and know several guys that "hog" up sole permission on big tracts so they can trophy hunt while that doe population grows in that area.

Not against crossbow either, not against any LEGAL hunters. and we need more on our side
Old 01-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

I spoke with some of the politicians from Indy and they claimed to me that this was suggested years ago but they got pressure from some bow hunting group or something. I don't know what group in Indiana is big enough to make a difference but they said what it boiled down to was they wanted to keep the early seasons archery only. Many states have an early black powder season which is what I would have liked. For me I think Oct to mid November is good hunting time in Indiana. I might trade my bow in for a crossbow and spend some more time in the woods next year.
Anybody on here belong to any type of archery group in Indiana that would be speaking to politicians in Indianapolis?