Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New Deer Hunter in need of Hunters Education >

New Deer Hunter in need of Hunters Education

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Deer Hunter in need of Hunters Education

Old 01-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Spike

Lightbulb New Deer Hunter in need of Hunters Education

I am new to hunting but i have been fishing all my life and comfortable in the outdoors. I never did get to go hunt growing up. Now my children are getting older and I see that its now time to learn how, so when my boys are older I can show them that experience as well. I have very little knowledge about the rifles, permits, licenses, and any equipment needed so any advice would be helpful.

Here is my hunting situation thou:
I live in am 25, live in Texas, and plan to go hunting in south Oklahoma next winter when deer season begins. I have a family member with about 90 acres of land and permission by them to go hunt on the land. So I could put up stands, feeders or anything like that if suggested. I'm not sure of what type of rifles I should look for. The land is about half field and half forest. I also need to know what type of licensee i need to be able to hunt in Oklahoma.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/f...scription.aspx

Here's the site with the different licenses and their prices. It looks like you will need a non-resident deer gun for rifle which runs $280 or a non-resident primitive if you want to go the muzzleloader route which is also $280. Those are the only licenses you need to buy as a non resident.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

My advice would be to do some scouting as to where the deer eat and where there bedding areas are and how they go from their bedding area to their eating area. Become familiar with the area you will be hunting in.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Spike

How would I look for a bedding area?
Old 01-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by vl Whitetail Genereal lv
My advice would be to do some scouting as to where the deer eat and where there bedding areas are and how they go from their bedding area to their eating area. Become familiar with the area you will be hunting in.
This the best advice as far as knowing the deer. All states offer and require a hunter safety course completion before obtaining a hunting license, its a good course for anyone and when your kids get old enough its something that you can do with them. Read as many articles on whitetails as you can even if its not in the region your hunting it can be applied, as for a rifle ask friends,family, what type of deer rifle they use, ask them if they would let you shoot them next time they go to the range, see which one you like. but a good starting point would be .30-06, .308, .270. They will all get the job done, widely available, ammo is fairly cheap. Tree stands are a matter of personal prefference, find one you can be comfotable all day in even if you dont ever plan to sit all day. Other equipment is a good pair of binoculars is paramount, as is a good scope( you get what you pay for!) Leupold,Nikon,Bushnell Elite all have great low light performance which is key because you dont want to miss that buck of a lifetime because you cant find him in the scope. Always remember that you can put that scope on you next rifle. sorry i was so long winded. Good luck.

Last edited by fishtaconc; 01-10-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by joseph_2880
How would I look for a bedding area?
Look in taller grass there are spots where it will be a smashed down circle, but you dont wanna be walking around there bedding area and scaring them out. You could also sit in a stand during the summer some time and watch where the deer come from when they come out to eat.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

All this is good information also if you know sombody that hunts ask them to take you along and show you the ropes. Rifle wise i'd suggest a bolt action 308 or 7mm08 they are more than enough to kill any deer in this country and have little recoil also the time tested 3030 lever action is a great choice if shots are under 150 yards plus the 3030 is probobly the cheapest highpower deer rifle to buy ammo for.