Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

thawing then re freezing meat

Old 12-29-2010, 07:50 AM
bigcountry

Its done all the time. And generally safe if thawed properly. But each time a meat is froze and thawed, it opens it up to air, and bacteria. Meat will start spoiling as soon as blood stops pumping thru it.

If you thaw meat by leaving at room temps, then refreeze, this where one can get sick or the meat starts smelling funny.

if you ever go out in the bush in Canada and kill a moose, you have to get the meat home. The standard practice is to quick freeze the meat in extreme freeze, and the meat thaws on the way home to some extent. Then you refreeze it at home.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Ok reading all of these I have heard about letting meat cure for a few days on ice before freezing. And even letting a deer hang for three days before processing. I was given an impromptu class from a friend who has an elaborate process: 1. Let the deer hang for three days in a cooler or equivalent temp. 2. Let the meat sit on ice for 7-10 days draining periodically. 3. Freeze the meat then thaw and refreeze. 4. When thawed to eat thaw it in a marinade (can't remember all the ingredients bu there were 5)....
Old 12-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

so whats the proper way to thaw
Old 12-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its fine and done all the time. Just don't thaw it out to room temp and let it sit around and get warm and you'll be fine.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Meat loses quality when it's thawed and refrozen (due to ice crystals rupturing cell walls). However, it doesn't become unsafe just because it is thawed and refrozen.

Letting it get warm where bacteria will grow on it makes it unsafe. Keep it cool and you're fine.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

although it seems safe think ill just boil em and the freeze them and thaw them when i wanna eat em seems more practical anyways
Old 12-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Done it many times to make sausage....it's been fine for me. During one of our hurricanes our entire freezer thawed out..ALL the food refroze when electric was turned back on.Electric was off for 5 days.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:08 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Chuck7
Done it many times to make sausage....it's been fine for me. During one of our hurricanes our entire freezer thawed out..ALL the food refroze when electric was turned back on.Electric was off for 5 days.
5 days, definately a man of faith. Or a man with a buzzard gut.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Well actually Mark the meat wasn't thawed for 5 days..the power was off for 5 days..the meat stayed partially frozen up to the 5th day in which the power was turned back on...
Old 12-31-2010, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

I usually freeze meat and rethaw when its a good time to grind or stuff sausage. Thaw in fridge not on countertop. But I don't let thaw all the way, just enough to break pieces apart to get in grinder hole. And also grind or stuff outside in cold weather, which keeps it from thawing to much. Should be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.