Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Muzzleloader Deer

Old 12-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default First Muzzleloader Deer

Today was the last day of season here in NY, and this last week has been black powder only. This was my first year with the black powder and today was the only day I was able to go out. After Having dad see a bunch of deer this morning and 3 in the vicinity of where I was going to sit, I was pumped for tonites hunt. I got to my spot around 330. Dark is about 5-515. Sat there for a while, and all of a sudden I heard something crunching the snow coming down the ledge behind me. I turned and saw a doe coming towards me. She got to about 20 yards of me before she saw me. It was perfect.....so far. I went to get the gun up to take a shot (Remington 700 ML) and my sling catches on my leg. GREAAT. I have to slowly free the sling while this doe watches me. After I do that, I slowly pull the gun up, as I do that she spooks and starts to run. I "Blat" at her, and she stops broadside at about 60 yards. I pull the gun up, find her in the scope and pull the trigger when I'm on her front shoulder. She ran away with her tail up, and that made me unsure whether I had hit her. I called dad and He came over and we looked and sure enough she was only about 100 yards from me! I was psyched to have gotten one with the black powder!!! The pic is below. Taken 12.19.10 at 4:30 pm.

Weather: 20 degrees F. partly sunny, no wind.

BigBuck95
Attached Thumbnails First Muzzleloader Deer-muzzleloader_doe.jpg  
Old 12-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

P.S I did have the hunter orange on before, I simply took it and my outer parka off before the picture. I will post a better picture when I can. Thank you!

BigBuck95
Old 12-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

congratulations good eatin