Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Let your child skip school to hunt? >

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Old 12-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

If my kids weren't off....I'd give them off myself, provided they earned it (were doing well). We get off the whole week of Thanksgiving anyhow so I haven't had to deal with it. I have given my son off a day here and there for various reasons, and as long as he continues to do well - I'm good with it.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery
Hmm a day hunting or a day in school,Take him hunting school will be around forever but you could be gone tomorrow and so could your son,none of us know how long we will be here.The fact of the matter is school gets way to much of kids time anyway.
I stopped reading this thread at this post because it says it all. I don't have to keep my son out to hunt, but twice a year during a fishing tournament I'll keep him out on Friday to go with me. For those two days a year he stands out with the adults and does all he can to help from catching bait to tying rigs to weighing fish. I enjoy spending this time with just him and enjoys feeling like part of the team, if he misses a few hours of school to feel this way then so be it.

Remember, we aren't promised tomorrow. My brother in-law was supposed to take him hunting and was killed a car accident right at the beginning of deer season the year they were supposed to go. I started hunting for this reason, otherwise my son would probably not have the opportunity to go and learn. I think 30 years from now he'll be able to look a pic of us holding or cleaning a big fish and remember that moment spent together like it was yesterday.....ask him what he learned in school that day and he won't have a clue.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Beezer
I stopped reading this thread at this post because it says it all. I don't have to keep my son out to hunt, but twice a year during a fishing tournament I'll keep him out on Friday to go with me. For those two days a year he stands out with the adults and does all he can to help from catching bait to tying rigs to weighing fish. I enjoy spending this time with just him and enjoys feeling like part of the team, if he misses a few hours of school to feel this way then so be it.

Remember, we aren't promised tomorrow. My brother in-law was supposed to take him hunting and was killed a car accident right at the beginning of deer season the year they were supposed to go. I started hunting for this reason, otherwise my son would probably not have the opportunity to go and learn. I think 30 years from now he'll be able to look a pic of us holding or cleaning a big fish and remember that moment spent together like it was yesterday.....ask him what he learned in school that day and he won't have a clue.
Great post Beez, couldn't agree more.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

My dad always let me skip Opening day of firearm season when i was a kid so I could go with him, my uncle, and my cousins. Kind of a family tradition.

I'll definately return the favor to my children someday
Old 12-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Spike

I'm a teacher, and I would skip to hunt.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

My Dad let me skip school to go hunting with him. He wrote my note saying I had Buck Fever! The school asked me if it was a bad illness! I said really bad!
Old 12-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

I always skipped the day before the season started so we could go out and get ready. It was something I looked forward to and my parents always made sure I was cought up on all of my homework. Talk to your sons teachers and see if they can get the homework to him before he leaves.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey I teach at a public school and have taken 3 days off for archery..I rarely take time off BUT hunting...different story..I get 16 days off after today...Christmas break

Teachers do have a few perks.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am all for letting your kids take time off from school in order to go hunting, I know when I was a kid I always took off time during deer and elk season. Even when I went to school during hunting season, I would bring my rifle to school. The principle would keep it in his office and as soon as school was out I would go get it and go hunting. Boy how things have changed nowadays though, just the thought of that now would put you in jail.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:10 AM
Spike

"School" is not the only classroom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.