Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Let your child skip school to hunt? >

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let your child skip school to hunt?

Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

if they are doing well i dont see why not,after all isnt hunting a learning experiance in its self?like that saying,everything is good,in moderation.the best way to learn things is threw experiance and i do not live life for the dallor sign but instead for what life has to offer.and because of the way i live my life i still get my 5 weeks a year of hunting in.gotta work smarter not harder.thank god im not a sheep!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:32 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I am not saying you HAVE to skip school in order to learn these skills. You taught yourself, good for you. Me too, and still learning. I'd rather have been taught by my father. And I'm saying that it's the DAD's prerogative to take his kid out of school to hunt if he wants. I do NOT surrender the right, will and future of my children to the state. In Virginia, you cannot hunt on Sundays...could be like that in other states. Maybe this guy doesn't have a place nearby to hunt. Maybe the dad wants to take his kid hunting somewhere where travel time is significant and it would eat up a lot of the hunting day. Who knows? Again, my point is that it's up to the dad.
Nobody said it wasn't up to the dad. Are you imagining it? He asked, I answered.

Are you REALLY going to bring up the bow vs. gun thing here? Really? "
Sure, if your really going to try to bring up Life long lessons from skipping school for the opening day of gun season. Try somewhere else, I have hunted several states on the east coast, and its pretty well the same.

Again, for someone calling my view a “freakin’ stretch,” you’re bringing this to extremes all over the place. You are making correlations that SIMPLY DO NOT EXIST. What you are basically inferring is that a dad who takes his kid out of school to go hunting, skiing, family vacation…WHATEVER…is teaching his kid to be undisciplined, implying that his son won’t go to college, won’t be able to differentiate between what is more important than hunting, and what is not, etc. If you weren’t implying that, then bringing up the earnings and employability of college grads vs non-grads is IRRELEVANT, along with the stories of your friends. You have stated that for both you and your friends, you were obsessed with hunting well beyond the point of reason. You cannot correlate that with a kid missing a couple of days of school to go hunting!!!!
No reason to cry over this man. Its just the internet. Why has this hit a nerve with you?

No one is saying that hunting never has to wait, or that hunting is the most important thing ever. You are imagining that people are saying that.
Just observations. I clearly outline that this is not rule. I clearly state its my observations. Perhaps you should have not missed reading comprehension in school, and you would have read these statements.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nobody is crying, and you didn't hit a nerve. Just pointing out that your statements are inapplicable. Sorry, I can't comprehend an extraneous train of thought...something unfortunately that can't be fixed by school.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:01 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Nobody is crying, and you didn't hit a nerve. Just pointing out that your statements are inapplicable. Sorry, I can't comprehend an extraneous train of thought...something unfortunately that can't be fixed by school.
Its really this easy. The guy asked, I replied. I gave my reasons, and gave my experiences.

Everything is pertinent no matter if you are able to see it or not. This cannot be learned in school, but more experience.

I am just pointing out how my statements are applicable. You don't see it, and that does not surprise me. Its really no big deal.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

From reading all of these postings I really only have one question - Do you mean kids are supposed to go to school during hunting season? How Rude!!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep. When I was in HS in the mid 70's we could bring a note to school and take the whole week off (that's how long deer season was then).
Old 12-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I plan on taking my son out of school for at least a week in the fall when he is old enough to hunt unless for some reason he is struggling to get by in school or something.

Somehow I think spending a week in the mountains hunting elk with his dad will stick with him longer in life than spending a week in history class.

I rarely missed any school and got in plenty of hunting as well, and my mother always stressed that good grades were money in the bank and that turned out to be true when it came time to apply to college, but I think with a little work you can have your cake and eat it too.

I think teaching a kid to plan ahead and get his assignments done and take care of business for taking a week off of school is a very important lesson that will actually benefit them in the long run.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Tracker II
Do you, or would you, let your child skip a day of school to go deer hunting?

My teenage boy wants to go but do to travel time requirements, I would have to let him skip school for one day during the first firearms season and one or two days during the second season. He gets decent grades, having a 3.5 GPA for the first year and a half of high school but several of his A's have been the just barely type and my wife and I are concerned that taking time off would have a negative impact. I should also note that he is on the block schedule where everything is compressed into half the time. This means that every day missed is the equivalent of two days missed for the subjects he is taking at that time.

In addition to the grade thing, I don't want to send the message that he should knock off school (or in later years, work) if there is something that he would rather be doing - even though hunting is a great life experience.

So what would you all do? I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
Take your son hunting. School and work will always be there, cherish the time you have.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Spike

Thank you all for your responses. Reading through them, it's amazing to me how the diversity of responses pretty much replicates the war that is going on in my own mind.

One thing that came to mind since I posed the question, is the fact that missing a day of school may impact his grades that are on the margin, however, it would probably have little or no impact on his ACT or SAT scores for college admission. So I suppose the bigger issue is, would I be impacting his work ethic down the road. Sure one day is no big deal, but one day can lead to two, and for all I know, he may then take a week off from college to go elk hunting out west without us even knowing it. Conversely, he may relish that one day and take no more than that down the road. Who knows the future?

One thing I will say, my son is a hard worker. Like many boys, he needs a little nudge on the homework front once in a while, but once he's kick-started, he stays with it. Also, he has caddied four days a week at the nearby country club since the age of 13 and willingly gets up at 5:30am so that he can be one of the first ones on the list. But still ... there's this lingering fear in my mind that I'm starting a new precedent that may negatively impact him for years to come. Sure it's only one day, but like the old pulpit preachers say, one drink most surely leads to two.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

every year my dad takes off and he and i go for the first 3 days. granted i only have school two of those days. but i dont seen anything wrong with it as long as they can maintain their grades. there has been a couple years when i didnt have the grades to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.