Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what woods to hunt

Old 07-20-2003, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default what woods to hunt

first off when you are out driving around and drive by a woods do you ever get the feeling that " the grass is greenier on the other side of the fence" . other thing do you think that there are more deer in a woods that is by a river with crops all round it or a woods that is out in the middle of no where with crops all round?
Old 07-22-2003, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what woods to hunt

I prefer hunting river forests. There are plenty of deer in the upland woods too but river bottoms around here act as travel lanes. You get alot more deer moving through. Small upland woods tend to have a group that lives there, and thats it.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:56 AM
Dominant Buck

The grass isn' t always greener on the other side of the fence , but it can seem that way when you see conditions that are favorable for deer . I once sat in a spot all through the firearms and ML seasons and only saw 4 does . I frequently get excited when I see a potential new spot , but I' ll wait until I take a look at it on TerraServer' s aerial photo and topo map pages before trying to gain access . This allows me to check it for likely funnels and trails without stinking up the place , and I can get a better idea of what the terrain is like before deciding if I want to waddle my middle aged carcass across it .
Old 07-26-2003, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

go for the river.... deer are gonna stck to water... its more important than food and the less they gotta use to get to water the better so hunt the river...
Old 07-29-2003, 06:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Outdoorsman has a point ,
deer have to drink sometime . However , deer are lazy and cautious , they will go for the water source nearest to their bedding area . A puddle on a tree stump 20 yds away will supply water for a nervous deer well enough to keep them from going farther and exposing themselves to risk . Even a small seep can supply many deer with all their water needs , and they may not have to leave the bedding area to get to it .
Old 08-01-2003, 12:22 AM

I prefer to hunt the river bottoms myself...There are so many woods around here, there is land that hasnt been stepped on by a man in a long, long time. I just drive down the road and dream of all the brute bucks just walking around in there. Its just so hard to get in there or I' d get on it!!