Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

should i hunt this woods

Old 06-18-2003, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default should i hunt this woods

i just bought some land well this land came with a 10 acre woods. there are two fields in front of this woods one is a corn field and the other is a hay field. there is a school and houseing division on the outside of these fields. any way there is some sign that deer do use this woods all i can find right now are small trails. most this woods is in a flood plain. which right now is flooded. i was talking to one of the owners that live in the houseing division. he said that deer come right into his back yard and heading to the woods. he says he has seen the deer run though his back yard at night. there was nothing said about during the day. there are a few major woods around. one is across a highway and the other is just aross a county rode. is it worth my time to hunt this woods?
Old 06-18-2003, 10:21 PM

Default RE: should i hunt this woods

1) There are deer in these woods?

2) It is legal to hunt there?

3) You own these woods?

You' d be crazy not to hunt ' em.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:24 PM

I have to agree with fl/ga, If there are deer HUNT THEM!!!. Get in there and hang some stands. Since you have recently got the land...I would find access to a trailcam, and see just what is out there!!
Old 06-19-2003, 05:48 AM

Another thing to remember is that right now the deer aren' t as active as they' re going to be, once the rut starts more then likely you' ll see more and more deer.

My only concern would be the houses and school make sure you can hunt there and are not to close to the dwelings.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:47 AM

sounds like a great place to bow hunt to me. a buddy of mine hunts a hundred yard strip of woods the separates his subdivision from the one behind it. it just so happens that there is a creek back that and all that land is flood plains. we see BIG deer in there everyyear. those are the best places to hunt because no body else hunts there. one deer is worth the hunt to me!
Old 06-19-2003, 08:05 AM

it sounds like a great place to hunt IF.....

The woods are thick enough to hold deer during the day.

If they are open woods with other bigger tracks of thicker woods around it the deer may only use it at night.