Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shot in the head nocks antlers off >

Shot in the head nocks antlers off

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot in the head nocks antlers off

Old 12-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like CWD to me to,saw one in a creek one summer still had his antlers but he was staggering around and didnt run just stared at us less then 20 yards away.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Pope94/IA
Me and my brother-in-law were doing a push during the 2nd season here in Iowa and he came accross a dead buck. It was just laying their body stretched out and stiff and head rested on the ground not moving. So he yelled to tell me to come over to him and we were standing about 10 feet from it talking and everything looking for blood where the buck had been shot and where he came from and the dang thing got up and started to run away. When he was trying to run away he was stumbling and could barely keep his balance so my brother-in-law shot him to put him out of his missery and when he shot, the bucks left antler came off but the buck fell to the ground dead... We thought he shot him in the antler but that wouldn't have killed him.. So we walked up to him and he was deader than can be and his left side was popped off like a shed... Well maybe the trauma of being shot caused it to come off... I dont know? Well we were looking for previous wounds and the shot where we shot him but we couldn't find any holes (or blood) on him... So we're thinking, what the heck.. So we roll him over and his other antler pops off like a shed! And then we finally found where he hit him. Right in between the ears in the back of the head. The shot caused the antlers to come loose for some reason. We looked some more for blood trails from where he came from but their was nothing... Im not sure why he was laying on the ground dead looking and could hardly walk. I know he wasn't laying down because he was tired because a tired deer can still run.. This one was stumbling every where like he had been shot in the back leg. Do you think maybe he was sick or something?

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

You really do need to head back to that deer and get the head and have it tested. If you got CWD in the area you need to let it be known.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah you do have to inform someone.We don't have a known case of it yet in British Coumbia,but there has been cases in Alberta, Elk and Deer have and share no boarders so it's only a matter of time before we get some cases of it happening here. The biggest problems arise in Sask and Manitoba again these animals share and have no boarders to the U.S..I know in Sask the ministry strongly relies on hunter information and they strongly advertise it.Yep heards do fall and it is controversial in what they do. They do know the disease is in both wild and farmed deer and elk,what they don't know yet if it somehow mutates in cattle, sheep, it could mean disater to the ranching and farming comminuties.Again they don't know yet what it does if humans consume it, but every hunter should be aware that it exists and what to look for.We have mad cow disease in agriculture industry that has killed humans, we don't know enough about CWD in the wildlife
cause not everyone eats it and money is not there to fund what few of us
people consume.The biggest concern I have is the dormancy of the disease.
It could take years before we find out if hunters that consume this meat get
it.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 12-12-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MrWinkles

Good luck!

Haha sorry even I dont know what I was trying to say there...
Old 12-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like ya shot a deer and didnt tag it..i wouldnt call anyone....wounded deer are no reason to shoot em, from the dnr standpoint...they aint hearing it.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

I dont have any pictures of the body. Today was the only day he could hunt so he called in the deer with his number on his tag and we threw the body away in a deep ditch in their timber. Ill probably get bashed from you guys for throwing the meat away but we didn't think it would be any good if the buck was sick. Or even if the buck was shot during first season and still lived until now, the meat wouldn't be any good would it?
Sounds like it was legally taken, but the meat wasn't used.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
sounds like ya shot a deer and didnt tag it..i wouldnt call anyone....wounded deer are no reason to shoot em, from the dnr standpoint...they aint hearing it.
It was legally taken.. And it was tagged. But the whole entire body was thrown away. We didn't want to mess with it incase it did have a disease.

Yeah there is a reason to shoot a wounded deer... To put it out of it's missery. Why let a deer live a few more weeks in horrible pain then die when you can put him out there for good without him going through all that pain.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was legally taken.. And it was tagged. But the whole entire body was thrown away. We didn't want to mess with it incase it did have a disease.

Yeah there is a reason to shoot a wounded deer... To put it out of it's missery. Why let a deer live a few more weeks in horrible pain then die when you can put him out there for good without him going through all that pain.
i totally agree, but the dnr wont. of course if yer taggin it..it might not matter...just depends on if the dnr cut it open and decide the meat is good, despite your own findings! you can be fined big time fer chunkin the meat.