Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how to make a mock scrape?

Old 07-19-2003, 10:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default how to make a mock scrape?

thinking of given this technique a try this year anybody got any spefic ways they go about it or the urine scents they use!!! any info always helps! thanks

GOOD HUNTING
Old 07-20-2003, 04:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: how to make a mock scrape?

Wear rubber boots and even then don' t step in the scrape. Get a forked tree branch and rake out the scrape in the direction a buck would. Discard the limb away from the scrape. A scent would be that of your choice, I don' t use scents but I would think one of dominent essence would do in the first stages of the rut.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:06 AM

here in ms. i hunt scrapes often when they first start showing up.i take a dominate buck lure and put a few drops in the scrape and also on nearby rub.this works best for me during pre-rut.also,as previously mentioned,wear rubber boots and be very careful not to leave YOUR scent.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

I attended a Bob Mcguire seminar here in Henderson Ky back in 83 or 84 and he was in the process of perfecting the mock scrape. Obviously u need 2 b clean of all human scent. Including rubber boots. It woulds help if u have killed a doe and saved secretial glands from the eyes. Scrape out a spot with an overhangin branch, rub gland secretion on branch and place stand nearby.All this should b done in an area that is known 2 b frequented by a trophy buck. B patient & persistent!
Old 07-20-2003, 08:58 PM

Another good way is to find a fresh scrape with a good overhanging branch, If the branch has broken twigs and is well used then the more scent is on it, Wear rubber gloves and cut the branch off, Then find a spot near your stand to hang it useing plaastic pull ties, Then make a scrape under your branch. Now you have a scrape with a real fresh overhanging branch
Old 07-30-2003, 12:10 AM

You should check out the Hawgs Buckfever meathod. Theres actually a post about it on this forum