Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Every scrap of meat

Old 12-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't be bothered with butchering anymore period.
A good friend of mine has a complete shop set up
and he does a terrific job on his cuts as well as his
jerky, the best I have ever had. I just take it to him
and pay him to deal with it.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Chuck7
...simply pull the skin as far as you can toward the deer;s chin..I had a hard time as the buck's neck was swollen..just do the best you can..Then either cut the neck in 2 or just make oine huge roast..

Next..put neck in large crock pot
Dump the entire contents of Greek Peppers in the crock pot with a package of dry Italian dressing..cook for 9 hours on low..One of the best roast you will ever eat..Falls off the bone
This is the kind of stuff that draws me to sites like this. This is only my fourth season of butchering, I didn't even know there was a roast (let alone two) in the neck. Now I even have a new recipe for it, sounds good, will try! Thanks.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Believe it or not the neck roast is an excellent roast..I take 2 roast out of the neck most of the time
I was surprised nobody mentioned this until now. After the straps and loins this is my next favorite thing. I skin it as far as I can before I cut the head off (jawbone or so). Then I just cut the neck right off at the spine, lay it on a table and debone it from there (cut esophogus out too... people don't like that in a roast lol). Then like chuck said you either have one BIG 5-6 lb roast or I usually cut them in half and make 2. Crock pot for 8 hours with taters, onions, celery, carrots, etc.... and the meat just peels off and very good and tender. My buddy just told me about a way to cook one in crock pot then add BBQ sauce for pulled pork sandwhiches. Going to try that next week. Either way, well worth the time for that hunk of meat IMO.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm always shocked down here to see guys throwing away neck roast..I'd gladly givwe 10.00 for one..

The neck is like 4-5 tenderloins all wrapped up in one..I'm blown away by this..best roast on the deer IMHO

I've done the pulled venison sandwiches..ALSO excellent as burritoes..put in a wrap with sour cream, raw onions ..you got it..GOOD STUFF..dang I'm getting hungry.

PS SOmeone mentioned about throwing front quarters away..use the same recipe for them as my neck roast..ALL THe tender meat falls off leaving white bones that are easily removed..great for making pulled venison sandwiches..super tender

Last edited by Chuck7; 12-09-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Spike

we use the the backstraps, inner loins, hams(hind quarters) and depending on the size of the deer, the front shoulders

like when we shoot a small doe somtimes there isnt hardly any meat on the shoulders, just bone, but if its a bigger sized deer then yes the front shoulders we get to
Old 12-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take everything but the ribs, and I use to take them. I spend a lot of time to get the grissel off of my meat and get it cleaner than any butcher could.

But it takes a lot of time and patience. It took me nine hours for one buck over Thanksgiving.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Dominant Buck

TOOK ME 5 HOURS LAST SAT. and I was tired ..wished I would have spent another 2 hours ..I could have done better
Old 12-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Spike

TOOK ME 5 HOURS LAST SAT. and I was tired ..wished I would have spent another 2 hours ..I could have done better
What, one deer and you didn't shave the ribs???

LOL

four of us did five deer, I do most of the skinning alone, I hate the tedious deboning, I get bored with it real quick. I take my time skinning, hoping they stay ahead of me, it never works that way... I'm buying a bansaw...

Funniest stuff, I pulled my girlfriend's compact car into her apartment complex parking lot, her neighbor knew I was hunting, so asked me for some venison, so I popped the trunk and cut her an inner loin. Picture that... It's my fourth deer, tired of cutting, sending it to the butcher...
Old 12-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Here is a well done and reasonably priced DVD from Kentucky Afield on deer processing. We use masking tape, and it works well.

https://secure.kentucky.gov/Mall/Sto...4cbb53d6d2387/