Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rifled choke?

Old 12-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rifled choke?

I am going to buy a remington 1100 from my uncle and it has a smooth bore slug barrel with a rifled choke in the end. How does this compare to a fully rifled barrel? Will it shoot sabots? Would I just be better off buying a new hastings to go on it?
Old 12-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

i wouldent shoot over 15 yards
Old 12-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

It should shoot standard rifled slugs fine, but I doubt it will throw sabots very well. Basically, I think it won't help or hurt rifled slugs and find it hard to believe it would do anything at all for sabots as they will have so much velocity when it hits the rifling that I doubt it will spin.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

It will not shoot sabots accurate at all!
Rifled slugs period out of a barrel with a rifled choke.
Personally, I would splurge for the Hastings barrel!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

I'd go for the hastings if I were you. But, try it and see. You should be able to shoot rifled slugs decently well.
-Jake
Old 12-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard that you can get very good results with hybrid style slugs like Remington Buckhammers and Brennekes. Basically, any of the slugs out there that the wad stays atached as the slug goes downrange.

I would not give up on sabots until I tried a couple just to see what happens. You never know.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Spike

I have 2 briley diffusion chokes that are RIFLED one is for a mossberg 500 and the other for a remington 870. Both 12 gauge. And with lightfeilds they both shoot about 2.5" groups at 110 yards. When I throw in winchester partition golds both guns shoot JUST AS WELL as my marlin 512 ( that has a fully rifled barrel) they both get about 1.5" groups at 125 yards. Even with lightfeilds consistant 3" groups at 110 yards is PLENTY good enough for any deer hunting, and they will out shoot my smoothbore any day of the week. I don't know about any other brands of rifled chokes or how they perform, but I can only speek for the ones I have and they work fine. With improved cylander chokes on both my mossberg and remingtons I get about a 4.5" group at 75 yards. After 80 yards with my smoothbore the groupings start to open up and I get alot of straglers, so I wont shoot past 80 yards with my smoothbore if you paid me. Prior to 1994, I was shooting winchester super x slugs and was able to get impressive groups with my improved cylander chokes out even past 100 yards. Now I cant find any rifled slugs that will give me groups less than 4.5" at 80 yards. With my rifled chokes, or my rifled barrels, I would not hesitate to take a 125 yard shot at a deer. I feel thats pretty good to say with a shotgun. If you want 1" groups at 150 or so yards, then go get a good rifle and practice alot with it. Shotguns were never intended to be a MOA type firearm. I wish that I could find the business card of the gentleman that sold me the chokes because i never see the briley diffusion chokes in any stores. Like I said, I cant speak for all the rifled chokes that are out there and I constanlty run into guys that tell me that they cant get good groups out of their guns when they use their rifled chokes. But in my experience with the briley diffusion chokes, they end up shooting pretty comparable with all of my shotguns that have fully rifled barrels. If I find the gentleman's business card, I will tell you, then maybe I could send you an email with his contact info. Wish I could help more. And ofcourse, like anything else, there is no shame in buying a hastings barrel either.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by OldBuckstalker1187
I have 2 briley diffusion chokes that are RIFLED one is for a mossberg 500 and the other for a remington 870. Both 12 gauge. And with lightfeilds they both shoot about 2.5" groups at 110 yards. When I throw in winchester partition golds both guns shoot JUST AS WELL as my marlin 512 ( that has a fully rifled barrel) they both get about 1.5" groups at 125 yards. Even with lightfeilds consistant 3" groups at 110 yards is PLENTY good enough for any deer hunting, and they will out shoot my smoothbore any day of the week. I don't know about any other brands of rifled chokes or how they perform, but I can only speek for the ones I have and they work fine. With improved cylander chokes on both my mossberg and remingtons I get about a 4.5" group at 75 yards. After 80 yards with my smoothbore the groupings start to open up and I get alot of straglers, so I wont shoot past 80 yards with my smoothbore if you paid me. Prior to 1994, I was shooting winchester super x slugs and was able to get impressive groups with my improved cylander chokes out even past 100 yards. Now I cant find any rifled slugs that will give me groups less than 4.5" at 80 yards. With my rifled chokes, or my rifled barrels, I would not hesitate to take a 125 yard shot at a deer. I feel thats pretty good to say with a shotgun. If you want 1" groups at 150 or so yards, then go get a good rifle and practice alot with it. Shotguns were never intended to be a MOA type firearm. I wish that I could find the business card of the gentleman that sold me the chokes because i never see the briley diffusion chokes in any stores. Like I said, I cant speak for all the rifled chokes that are out there and I constanlty run into guys that tell me that they cant get good groups out of their guns when they use their rifled chokes. But in my experience with the briley diffusion chokes, they end up shooting pretty comparable with all of my shotguns that have fully rifled barrels. If I find the gentleman's business card, I will tell you, then maybe I could send you an email with his contact info. Wish I could help more. And ofcourse, like anything else, there is no shame in buying a hastings barrel either.
Well you can't argue with ones own experience. Very interesting. I would have never guessed you could get anywhere near a group like that w/o a rifled barrel.