Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Building a New Blind

Old 12-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Building a New Blind

My old box blind 10 foot up on a tree is getting rickety and we're going to pull it down this summer. I'm building a new warmer, nicer blind on the ground. Here's my plan so far. Suggestions welcome.

I want a 8' x 4' rectangular blind a total of 8' high from the ground. I plan on making the floor one foot off the ground. The frame on the corners will be long so I can bury them (a foot?) in the ground for stability and I will use sheets of marine 3/4" plywood 4' x 8'. Two per long side and one per short side (8' going upward). I'll use a 4' x 8' for the roof and one cut slightly down for the floor. 2 x 4 pine for the frame and plexiglass for the flip up windows. I want to try to get some kind of edging for the plywood window "edges" so the squirrels don't eat into them. I'll put a sheet of rubber on the roof and one on the blind floor. I want to make in pieces (to haul in sil's pickup) and assemble on site. The windows will be about 15" max height to minimize view into the blind. I'm NOT a wood worker so any help, suggestions or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

Some pics of my old blind.... (check out my "urinal" LOL)
Attached Thumbnails Building a New Blind-dsc00172a.jpg   Building a New Blind-dsc00173a.jpg   Building a New Blind-dsc00174a.jpg   Building a New Blind-dsc00176a.jpg   Building a New Blind-dsc00175a.jpg  

Last edited by warbirdlover; 12-06-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

This one is 4'x5', and it is 8' to the platform. I framed the box in my garage, and assembled it in the woods. The platform and base was all assembled in the woods (hint, glue down your floor as well as use screws). Notice that the 4x4's go into a product called "elevators." They can be bought online (Gander Mountain, Cabelas, etc.), and make the platform building easy. Since they flare out, you do not need to bury the 4x4's. I did pound a 4' t-post into the ground at each corner, and screwed the t-post to the adjacent leg. I have a 3" piece of PVC going from inside the box to 15" underground for my urinal and drainfield. My windows are 12 inches high, framed all the way around with 2x2's. It makes for a very solid shooting platform.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Soilman,

That's a nice looking blind about the size (and height off the ground) of my current one but much nicer. Those windows are exactly the size I want mine.

I want a ground blind as I'm having problems climbing into my stand in my old age and since it sits on the top of a hill in oak tree woods the elevation isn't needed. I'm in one of the prime spots on our 120 acres. It's a deer "funnel" for them coming from the marsh accross the stream in the lowland about 200 yards away.

We have wolves on our land and now a big cougar was spotted also this year so we all carry handguns when working on this stuff LOL.

Last edited by warbirdlover; 12-06-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:28 AM
Spike

if you really wanted to make it warm you could staple some insulation with the paper still on it in your blind. that would be real nice
Old 12-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Spike

I would fully assemble it in your garage using screws, then take it apart in sections so you can haul it and then reassemble. I like the idea of gluing the floor down, should help prevent creaking.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Yup, that's the plan (assemble in garage with lag bolts) and want to insulate but the squirrels WILL get in and they chew up everything like that. I'm not sure about the pink styrafoam stuff. Even if I don't insulate I'll have 3/4" marine plywood walls and probably a nice heater and 20 gallon propane tank in there.

I'm doing all this because my current stand is COLD and if you can't be comfortable enough to sit all day long you limit your chances. The wind whistles through the big windows in my current stand and the thin walls. In Wisconsin it can get downright cold up there even dressed to the hilt. It got down around 10º F a couple days this year and I've hunted in past years when it's been -20º F and back then I didn't have a blind!! Brutal.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

sounds like you have a pretty solid plan. Id say stay away from the pink styrofoam, anything rubbing against it/it rubbing against wood=noisy. As long as you stay out of the wind I think you'll be plenty warm.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

With the windows closed, I stay at least 10 degrees warmer than the outside (I put a thermometer inside just out of curiosity). I agree with TeamWISCO, just keeping the wind off you makes a huge difference.

My Dad uses a propane heater in his stand, no insulation. He uses 1 lb propane cylinders, and he has to turn the heat off at least part of the day, or it gets too hot.

Good luck with your stand. Have it ready install in the early spring, and the deer will be well used to it come November.