Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How far from bait in ny?

Old 12-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by scribbler444
there is about a 1percent chance of shooting a monster buck over a foodpile unless in texas or something like that. Put out a trail cam and 99percent of the time that deer will be there between 11pm and 4am then gone.
Yep, and that's why I find it so comical that some people go to extremes to bait deer. Most of the time, the bigger bucks will wait 100-200 yards from the bait and intercept the does coming and going to the bait. I does change the overall patterns, because as was noted above, the does change their pattern and the bucks follow them during the rut.

So basically, the heavy baiters screw it up for the non-baiters (because they change movement patterns) and still have a slim chance of actually seeing the large bucks (because they rarely come right into the bait during daylight).

Wish they would just ban it everywhere. Force everyone to actually learn how to hunt (ie. understand deer behavior).
Old 12-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

What I have fits over is the sports shops being allowed to sell deer specific food, bait, and feeders even though it is illegal to use them.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Daveboone
What I have fits over is the sports shops being allowed to sell deer specific food, bait, and feeders even though it is illegal to use them.
Yeah, I agree with that as well. Having it there is a temptation all its own.

But I will say it came in handy during the spring when we purchased a new property and were interested into what was there...
Old 12-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Spike

You can't bait deer in NY, Like everyone is saying.
But that doesn't mean that you cannot hunt overseeing cornfields,alfalfa/clover feilds ( any crop for that matter ) Food plots that have clover/ alfalfa ect.Hay, winterwheat/soy beans ect. You can also hunt in areas in the woods with white and red oaks when acorns are falling, you can also hunt in apple orchards or around sparcley located appletrees on your property. ALL this is NOT considered baiting. And with all the food/ resources deer have naturaly, you should see no reason to bait them. A bag of corn in my book, is not they way to get deer to your game cam. Perhaps moving the cam to a better location is the way to go. You can use attractants like doe and buck urine in NY, so setting up a good mock scrape/ finding one that is already established is a good place to set up a cam too. With all the other options out there, you can find other ways to get your deer infront of the cam OR maybe its better suited to say get your cam infront of the deer. Good luck, I hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the input, i had no idea that baiting of all sorts was illegal, i got confused with other states where you just can hunt over it...

SO technically the old lady throwing peices of corn and left overs off her deck can be given a ticket for baiting?
Old 12-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ABarOfSoap
thanks for the input, i had no idea that baiting of all sorts was illegal, i got confused with other states where you just can hunt over it...

SO technically the old lady throwing peices of corn and left overs off her deck can be given a ticket for baiting?
Only if she's also hunting deer.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can be ticketed for feeding even if you have no intentions of hunting ever.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

You can NOT FEED, or BAIT wild life in NY.

I have not gotten a deer this season, but I play by all the rules.

I go HUNTING, not shooting animals over bait.
and this year, the deer are better than my hunting skills.

But I accept that.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe those rules will relax in NY some now that CWD has been delisted as a concern. CWD concerns were the reason feeding deer in NY was made illegal several years ago -(hunting over feed has never been legal in NY - nor has feeding inside of deer season if I remember correctly).

Can't say I miss the dead deer on the side of the road where people fed them "to get them through the winter" only to lure them in the path of a car.

FH
Old 12-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Personally, I don't like baiting. Chastise me as you must, but to me it is cheating. Please don't bring up, out west, because that is a 100% different situation on which I have no ground to stand. But in NY, and where you hunt on smaller tracts of land, there is no reason for baiting. It is not fair chase.

Ok, go ahead, let my ruthless disembowlment begin.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.