Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How far from bait in ny?

Old 12-03-2010, 10:11 AM
  #11  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 320
Default

Originally Posted by scribbler444 View Post
there is about a 1percent chance of shooting a monster buck over a foodpile unless in texas or something like that. Put out a trail cam and 99percent of the time that deer will be there between 11pm and 4am then gone.
Yep, and that's why I find it so comical that some people go to extremes to bait deer. Most of the time, the bigger bucks will wait 100-200 yards from the bait and intercept the does coming and going to the bait. I does change the overall patterns, because as was noted above, the does change their pattern and the bucks follow them during the rut.

So basically, the heavy baiters screw it up for the non-baiters (because they change movement patterns) and still have a slim chance of actually seeing the large bucks (because they rarely come right into the bait during daylight).

Wish they would just ban it everywhere. Force everyone to actually learn how to hunt (ie. understand deer behavior).
UPHunter08 is offline  
Old 12-03-2010, 12:50 PM
  #12  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tug Hill NY
Posts: 413
Default

What I have fits over is the sports shops being allowed to sell deer specific food, bait, and feeders even though it is illegal to use them.
Daveboone is offline  
Old 12-08-2010, 01:25 PM
  #13  
Fork Horn
 
IOWABUCKHUNTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 452
Default

Originally Posted by Daveboone View Post
What I have fits over is the sports shops being allowed to sell deer specific food, bait, and feeders even though it is illegal to use them.
Yeah, I agree with that as well. Having it there is a temptation all its own.

But I will say it came in handy during the spring when we purchased a new property and were interested into what was there...
IOWABUCKHUNTR is offline  
Old 12-08-2010, 02:02 PM
  #14  
Spike
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 75
Default

You can't bait deer in NY, Like everyone is saying.
But that doesn't mean that you cannot hunt overseeing cornfields,alfalfa/clover feilds ( any crop for that matter ) Food plots that have clover/ alfalfa ect.Hay, winterwheat/soy beans ect. You can also hunt in areas in the woods with white and red oaks when acorns are falling, you can also hunt in apple orchards or around sparcley located appletrees on your property. ALL this is NOT considered baiting. And with all the food/ resources deer have naturaly, you should see no reason to bait them. A bag of corn in my book, is not they way to get deer to your game cam. Perhaps moving the cam to a better location is the way to go. You can use attractants like doe and buck urine in NY, so setting up a good mock scrape/ finding one that is already established is a good place to set up a cam too. With all the other options out there, you can find other ways to get your deer infront of the cam OR maybe its better suited to say get your cam infront of the deer. Good luck, I hope this helps.
OldBuckstalker1187 is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 09:22 AM
  #15  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
ABarOfSoap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YewNork
Posts: 1,794
Default

thanks for the input, i had no idea that baiting of all sorts was illegal, i got confused with other states where you just can hunt over it...

SO technically the old lady throwing peices of corn and left overs off her deck can be given a ticket for baiting?
ABarOfSoap is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 02:35 PM
  #16  
Fork Horn
 
MizzouMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jefferson City
Posts: 170
Default

Originally Posted by ABarOfSoap View Post
thanks for the input, i had no idea that baiting of all sorts was illegal, i got confused with other states where you just can hunt over it...

SO technically the old lady throwing peices of corn and left overs off her deck can be given a ticket for baiting?
Only if she's also hunting deer.
MizzouMonster is offline  
Old 12-10-2010, 03:58 AM
  #17  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Moravia NY USA
Posts: 2,164
Default

You can be ticketed for feeding even if you have no intentions of hunting ever.
SteveBNy is offline  
Old 12-10-2010, 10:02 AM
  #18  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 385
Default

You can NOT FEED, or BAIT wild life in NY.

I have not gotten a deer this season, but I play by all the rules.

I go HUNTING, not shooting animals over bait.
and this year, the deer are better than my hunting skills.

But I accept that.
the blur is offline  
Old 12-10-2010, 07:54 PM
  #19  
Nontypical Buck
 
farm hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: cazenovia, NY USA
Posts: 2,973
Default

Maybe those rules will relax in NY some now that CWD has been delisted as a concern. CWD concerns were the reason feeding deer in NY was made illegal several years ago -(hunting over feed has never been legal in NY - nor has feeding inside of deer season if I remember correctly).

Can't say I miss the dead deer on the side of the road where people fed them "to get them through the winter" only to lure them in the path of a car.

FH
farm hunter is offline  
Old 12-10-2010, 07:57 PM
  #20  
Typical Buck
 
BigBuck95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Amongst the Trees....
Posts: 964
Default

Personally, I don't like baiting. Chastise me as you must, but to me it is cheating. Please don't bring up, out west, because that is a 100% different situation on which I have no ground to stand. But in NY, and where you hunt on smaller tracts of land, there is no reason for baiting. It is not fair chase.

Ok, go ahead, let my ruthless disembowlment begin.....
BigBuck95 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.