Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Was I wrong

Old 11-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Was I wrong

last Saturday I shoot a deer with my 30 30 that was 250 yards away. I shot 1 shot and he fell right there dead. I have practiced from 250 yards and I am comfortable making the shot. I know that alot of people are going to give me a hard time about this but my question is if someone feels comfortable with this shot why not take it? I know that a 30 30 drops pretty fast after about 150 yards but if you aim just a little high you can still hit the deer in the right spot. Was I wrong for taking this shot? I have taken another one from that distance with the same results. I'm not trying to be a show off or anything I just want to know if I did the right thing or not?
Old 11-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not at all. The key is you practiced that shot, it presented itself and you made it happen. Bottom line is no one can tell you what is wrong for you. Some guys are proficient out to a lot farther than that. It's about practicing and placing a shot not just winging lead. Nice job!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, if you know what you're doing it's not an issue. It's the guys who spray and pray that I shake my head about.

In your 30-30 what ammo are you using, it's not Hornady by chance is it?
Old 11-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

I'd take the shot but I don't have to with my 30-30 because I can just grab my 30-06

My uncle use to take a 600 yard shot but definately not with a 30-30. I think he has a 7mm. Idk what the range on a 7mm is though but I know 600 yards is a long shot.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for your replies. I just knew that I would have alot of people giving me the what for. No I'm actually using Remington express core-lokt 170 gr.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by not the dogs
Thanks for your replies. I just knew that I would have alot of people giving me the what for. No I'm actually using Remington express core-lokt 170 gr.
If you don't want to be critized, say nothing, do nothing,be nothing. I live by this. Congrats on your dear. You practiced at these distances, you are comfortable shooting at these distances,your confident at shooting animals at these distances. You proved you can kill at this distance. People may flame you but who cares.I practice long range shooting others do to. You have pleanty of members on this forum that will back you up.Again congrats.But don't start second guessing yourself you made a choice stand by it be confident. This will be the only thing that will get you flames.
Because you are second guessing now just a warning to you.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 11-27-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

If the weather conditions are right, you have the right bullet design and weight, and you have the skills and experience for the shot knowing you will hit the mark, there is nothing wrong with taking the shot. Using a 30-30 bullet heavier than 150 gr. like you did for a shot that distance was wise.

I have said this before, and your experience is proof - most rifle deer hunters would be well served with a 30-30. A lot of experienced deer hunters really like this round. IMO, it is also great for beginners - lower recoil, is a good deer cartridge, and it will not go into the next county if they miss. I am fond of the 30-30, as I took my first deer with dad's 30-30. Yes, I own and have taken deer with other .30 caliber cartridges; but I also own a 30-30. It is a great deer cartridge, and it can also work well on mountain lions.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'm sure you'll always find

a handholder, who'll agree and not give any speck of disagreement.

A 30-30 is at the margin at 250 yards. Even with the new pointed bullets. There are more adequate cartridges for 250 yard shots.
You pay for the misses; no one else. You didn't mention finance problems for your situation. I loved a lever action. But I kept shots within 125 yards with the round nose bullets. Any possible 250 yard shot, I went with the 30-06, one of a number of rifles designed for longer range.

Is it a very familiar site, that you know exactly that the distance was 250 yards? How did you measure it. Even if you know the distance, there is a problem arising with the wind and any possible mirage/shadows. The dropoff at 250 yards is anywhere from about a foot to some 17 inches, depending on the sight-in yardage. Enough to give any one other than a trained sharpshooter, terminal problems.

And if you're a great shot and the cartridge is adequate, in your mind, why did you miss?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Valentine, I measured the distance before hunting and knew that the stand was 260 yards away from the tree line. And he dropped right there dead.I didn't miss.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by not the dogs
Valentine, I measured the distance before hunting and knew that the stand was 260 yards away from the tree line. And he dropped right there dead.I didn't miss.
It's a hell of a shot.

What would you figure the drop is at 250 yards with the cartridge you're using?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.