Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Was I wrong

Old 11-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MizzouMonster

What would you figure the drop is at 250 yards with the cartridge you're using?
According to Remington, a 150 yd zero is 12.6" low at 250 yds for a 170 gr. 30-30 Core-Lokt.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
A 30-30 is at the margin at 250 yards. Even with the new pointed bullets. I loved a lever action. But I kept shots within 125 yards with the round nose bullets.
I disagree. The Hornady LEVERevolution 30-30 160gr. with a 200 yard zero is 3" high at 100 yds and 12.1" low at 300 yards with over 1,000 Ft/Lbs of energy. A Rem Core-Lokt 170gr. with a 150 zero is less than 2" high at 100 yards.

Originally Posted by Valentine
The dropoff at 250 yards is anywhere from about a foot to some 17 inches, depending on the sight-in yardage. Enough to give any one other than a trained sharpshooter, terminal problems.

And if you're a great shot and the cartridge is adequate, in your mind, why did you miss?
This type of shot does not require a sharpshooter, but it does require practice, being proficient with your firearm and understanding the weather conditions. He did not miss. It was a one shot kill.