Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

my first big buck

Old 11-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default my first big buck

Well after 20 years of hunting I finally got a big buck worth having mounted... I got this buck on black Friday, at home... It was kind of drizzly and windy out that morning. I decided I wasn't going to go and sit in the rain. So I stayed home... At about 7:10 I walked out to have a smoke, and noticed there was a deer standing just on the other side of my neighbors hedge row in his 13 acer field. About 140 yards from me... I ran in the house, grabbed my 30-30. Pulled up and looked through the scope. All I saw was horns...... I was shaking like a leaf on a windy day... I was like OMG!!! he is a monster, to me anyway. I have never seen deer this big while hunting. I shot, he just turned and started walking. I'm thinking, there is no way I missed him. My gun is sited for 100 yards and I held at the top of him, since he was out about 140 yards. I shot 3 more times at him. He just kept walking. Then he went into the thickets. I kept looking for him. I saw some movement, he was still just walking... I went in and grabbed my shot gun. Figured I would walk over there, and if I jump him, I needed the gun without a scope in case he took off running. I get over there, looking around, and there he is, just sitting there. He wasn't laying down, but he was kind of sitting on his butt. I pull up and shoot. DAM!!!!! I hit a sapling. He is still just sitting there, 40 yards away from me. I shoot again, he drops.... WAAAAHOOOOOO!!!!!! I was so pumped... Its the biggest deer I have ever shot, and I shot him from my back yard.... Took him in to have mounted.... He weighed about 140 field dressed..

Old 11-27-2010, 03:20 AM
Fork Horn

Did you miss him 5 times???

Or hit him each time? How old was he?

Looks like a brute.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

way to go, congrats!!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 03:46 AM
Spike

what did u shoot off ur porch ? from the first pick looks like u hit him high and behind the ribs but not sure. did u hit him with the 30-30win? if u did did u find any bullets inside? i like finding a surprise inside to keep as a momento.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer. But the story, well, sorry...could be better. Out of 5 shots, how many times did you hit him, and where? Could you see through the fencerow and beyond your target?

I guess mount him if you want a nice deer hanging on your wall that you shot, but the story certainly isn't "trophy worthy," IMO. Sorry.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice deer but frankly I wouldn't call it hunting..sorry. Going out for a smoke and seeing a buck in your neighbor's field, grabbing your rifle and shooting it??? then going to finish the job with your shotgun!?! It was just pure luck that you shot him and possibly not even legally considering how close you were to occupied dwellings. Go ahead and mount him if you want but....if that's the case I could have mounted a nice buck I got with my wife's Chrysler Sebring a couple years ago. Same thing IMO.
I shot a buck that big this year but after putting in 126 hours in my tree stand. Now that buck was hunted as he was one of the 2 I was after all season.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Spike

I get what you guys are saying and I agree but y'all are some bubble busters.

Nice deer........(I'd make up a tall tale when I tell my buddies though).
Old 11-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

Perhaps some range time is in order.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Spike

hey. i know where i live my neighbor would let me shoot. as for behind the target i am guessing you have hunted out behind there before. congrats.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

We ALL still want to know what happened to the other 5 pieces of lead ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.