HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - my first big buck
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 01:50 AM
V8Ranger
Nontypical Buck

Default my first big buck

Well after 20 years of hunting I finally got a big buck worth having mounted... I got this buck on black Friday, at home... It was kind of drizzly and windy out that morning. I decided I wasn't going to go and sit in the rain. So I stayed home... At about 7:10 I walked out to have a smoke, and noticed there was a deer standing just on the other side of my neighbors hedge row in his 13 acer field. About 140 yards from me... I ran in the house, grabbed my 30-30. Pulled up and looked through the scope. All I saw was horns...... I was shaking like a leaf on a windy day... I was like OMG!!! he is a monster, to me anyway. I have never seen deer this big while hunting. I shot, he just turned and started walking. I'm thinking, there is no way I missed him. My gun is sited for 100 yards and I held at the top of him, since he was out about 140 yards. I shot 3 more times at him. He just kept walking. Then he went into the thickets. I kept looking for him. I saw some movement, he was still just walking... I went in and grabbed my shot gun. Figured I would walk over there, and if I jump him, I needed the gun without a scope in case he took off running. I get over there, looking around, and there he is, just sitting there. He wasn't laying down, but he was kind of sitting on his butt. I pull up and shoot. DAM!!!!! I hit a sapling. He is still just sitting there, 40 yards away from me. I shoot again, he drops.... WAAAAHOOOOOO!!!!!! I was so pumped... Its the biggest deer I have ever shot, and I shot him from my back yard.... Took him in to have mounted.... He weighed about 140 field dressed..