Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Venison temperature sitting on the butcher block. >

Venison temperature sitting on the butcher block.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Venison temperature sitting on the butcher block.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Venison temperature sitting on the butcher block.

I picked up a deer at a refrigator box this morning. 38 degree's in the fridge.

It's 60 degree's outside. I come along, get a deer from the fridge box. (shot 3 days ago.) Drive 2 hours to my town, drop the deer at a local back yard shade tree butcher. He butchers in his garage. No refrigator on site.

9 hours later I get the call to pick up the meat. give him $100 for butchering.
I have my IR temp gun.
All the meat is at 53-54 degree's. and I assume it has been at 50 degrees for many hours sitting on his work bench.

Is this meet any good ?
He says it's no problem, but 53 degree's for butched meat for hours sitting out. He's a 1 man show, takes his time. I'm not sure what to do with 53 degree venison.....
Old 11-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Spike

oh my, thats a bit warm in my opinion. I wouldn't feel too good about eating it. And a hundred bucks sounds awful steep for processing.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

It should be fine. My deer hung for three days in a basement when it was in the 50s outside and it was fine.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Fork Horn

100 bucks for a backyard under the table butcher seems way steep. For a deer that field dresses over 150lbs our butcher charges 90 bucks to do everything and that includes ground with beef fat.

For the temperature i wouldnt worry about it, as long as it doesnt smell bad or look bad id eat it. Might be the last time i go there though.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by the blur
I picked up a deer at a refrigator box this morning. 38 degree's in the fridge.

It's 60 degree's outside. I come along, get a deer from the fridge box. (shot 3 days ago.) Drive 2 hours to my town, drop the deer at a local back yard shade tree butcher. He butchers in his garage. No refrigator on site.

9 hours later I get the call to pick up the meat. give him $100 for butchering.
I have my IR temp gun.
All the meat is at 53-54 degree's. and I assume it has been at 50 degrees for many hours sitting on his work bench.

Is this meet any good ?
He says it's no problem, but 53 degree's for butched meat for hours sitting out. He's a 1 man show, takes his time. I'm not sure what to do with 53 degree venison.....

If it is bad you should be able to smell it and tell. I have to agree with the others though on the cost of the butchering, as it seems too high to me.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default You wonder some times . . .

if a lot of big city hunters will meet their end, because no butcher is available. Or not available nearby.

With modern society, hunter, butcher, and chef in one person, seems to be a total rarity. One like that would know if the meat was good.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

My family has never paid to butcher a deer ... i have been with friends that have taken deer to be butchered . I got to tell you guys I would be scared myself.That being said temps sound a little warm and not knowing how long it was dead before the butcher got it and the condition of the meat as it was handled ...how clean the butcher is ...... so on and so forth .... id be cooking everything to 180 degrees and well done.Now this is just my opinion ... for what its worth... not saying anybody did something wrong ... the butcher was wrong... the hunter did something wrong or anybody else s post was wrong ...
Old 11-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

man, i would so worry...i never let anyone touch my meat, but me!!
that way i know exactly what was done...aint gotta worry about the backyard butchers runny nose either, or how far off the porch from the meat did he go to take a leak, and weather or not there was a sink, with hot water, and SOAP, on the way back to cutting your meat.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure it's fine.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
I'm sure it's fine.
translation...if ya eat and and we hear from ya again, it was ok, but if you die, no one will come and tell us, and everyone will assume you lived.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.