Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where to Sit

Old 11-17-2010, 05:36 AM
Spike

Default Where to Sit

I will try and make this quick, looking for some suggestions on what you think about opening day of gun spot. Season opens here in NY on Sat, I hunt a piece of land @100 acres surrounded on both sides by what i call hard core gun hunters (shoot any deer). I have a 6pt rule I go by and know there are a few good deer in the area. I have 2 options to sit in this one area, 1) on the power line in an elevated blind where I can see a long ways and coudl shoot the rifle, lots of deer cross the power lines not many walk them. 2) Bottom of the power line is a creek which I have a chain on stand I know deer use this area as safe zone, its thick and the bottom of 2 hillsides max shot will be 50yards (shotgun). What do you think? Go where I can see or sit in the thick stuff. The groups on both sides of the property start pushes early on opening morning (I know that sucks but we can not get them to change).
Old 11-17-2010, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Top in the morning, bottom in the evening (thermals rise in the morning, fall in the evening).
Old 11-17-2010, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt to fill the freezer so I would sit on the most used trails, but that's not your question...
I believe once the hunters start pushing deer in the surrounding areas the smart deer (older big boys) will head for cover, that's where IMHO you should be.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

Hello fellow Ny're
hard to say with info given,
i bow hunt so not too familiar with gun regs,
but i was under impression most of southern NY is shotgun only?
either way if that creek is a safe zone i would be wary of hunting it,
would try to keep it as a safe zone or the deer.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:58 AM
Spike

thanks folks for the quick replies. Couple things I have already taken a buck with my bow so I am looking for a big boy now, my freezer is in good shape and I will look take a doe late season. I follow the high in the morn low in the evening during bow season since deer are not pressured at all in this area during bow season. However once gun season starts I have found those rules are out the window! The area I hunt is rifle (been for couple seasons now). The 2 spots are only 150 yards apart thats the other issue, the blind is at the top of the hill on the power line and the stand is at the bottom.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you can still see the bottom from the top, may not have a shot, but if you can see that whole power line, then you'll know how the deer travel the mornings. If the deer traveled too low and hung down in the brush, hunt the afternoon down there and the following morning. I would just like to see the most area I could on the opener to get a feel for the crossings.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tarheelsaint
I will try and make this quick, looking for some suggestions on what you think about opening day of gun spot. Season opens here in NY on Sat, I hunt a piece of land @100 acres surrounded on both sides by what i call hard core gun hunters (shoot any deer). I have a 6pt rule I go by and know there are a few good deer in the area. I have 2 options to sit in this one area, 1) on the power line in an elevated blind where I can see a long ways and coudl shoot the rifle, lots of deer cross the power lines not many walk them. 2) Bottom of the power line is a creek which I have a chain on stand I know deer use this area as safe zone, its thick and the bottom of 2 hillsides max shot will be 50yards (shotgun). What do you think? Go where I can see or sit in the thick stuff. The groups on both sides of the property start pushes early on opening morning (I know that sucks but we can not get them to change).
This is where I would be, the underlined part.
As soon as the deer are pushed they will head to the safest place they know.
And most times it's where the thick stuff is.

JMHO Good Luck, and get a big one.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Spike

honestly i have planned to sit near the thick stuff in the AM and hope the deer that are pushed especially the big boys will run for cover and I will be waiting. I just hate not being able to see the most ground like the blind gives me, I was just looking for others input and you all have given me some things to think about. Good luck everyone and be safe. I will check back in next week and let you know if it was the right decision!