Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can't find a deer

Old 11-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Can't find a deer

Shot a buck tonight and very last light. Thought the shot was clean but when I found where I hit him I could see green. So I hit guts. Anyway, the blood goes for about 15-20 yards and I lose it. I heard him crash and kick but can't find him. I will come out in the AM an find it. It's supposed to get into low 40s tonight. Will the meat be spoiled?
Old 11-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

I have been in same spot...found deer next day..and smelled rank...but meat ended up being ok...after about 1 hour of risning hanging in tree and cutting out anything that didnt look good..... Of course you should try to dress a gut shot animal as soon as possible. I have decided from last gut shot deer, if I gut shoot one again---I will back out and leave it for about 6 hours...then go back in slow to find so I will have better chance at meat still being good..scan with light up ahead and look for gold eyes...if they are still moving back out and come back at first light....bad part part a gut shot deer is they die not only from bleeding but also from spetic shock...so that stuff IS getting into him. The cool temp (being below 50) is an advantage in this case not only will it help sap the life out of him...but will aid in keeping meat. Good luck finding him!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by cal516
Shot a buck tonight and very last light. Thought the shot was clean but when I found where I hit him I could see green. So I hit guts. Anyway, the blood goes for about 15-20 yards and I lose it. I heard him crash and kick but can't find him. I will come out in the AM an find it. It's supposed to get into low 40s tonight. Will the meat be spoiled?

No your meat will be fine, I would only worry about the contents of the stomach getting on any of the meat. That meat of course will be bad. Good luck I hope you find him
Old 11-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by djdkman
I have been in same spot...found deer next day..and smelled rank...but meat ended up being ok...after about 1 hour of risning hanging in tree and cutting out anything that didnt look good..... Of course you should try to dress a gut shot animal as soon as possible. I have decided from last gut shot deer, if I gut shoot one again---I will back out and leave it for about 6 hours...then go back in slow to find so I will have better chance at meat still being good..scan with light up ahead and look for gold eyes...if they are still moving back out and come back at first light....bad part part a gut shot deer is they die not only from bleeding but also from spetic shock...so that stuff IS getting into him. The cool temp (being below 50) is an advantage in this case not only will it help sap the life out of him...but will aid in keeping meat. Good luck finding him!
Good advice right here. I gut shot one several years ago, so I got down to check him out got within sight of him and he had his head up, looking right at me and got up and ran off. I backed out and came back early the next morning and found him less than 50 yds. away.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Yea I heard him go down and found blood. Just a hard trail at night. I know he isn't far but just couldn't find him. I feel bad and don't want it all to be a waste. I hunt for meat and most of the time bucks are a bonus.