Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shotgun question

Old 11-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Spike

Default Shotgun question

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post. The question I have is, I have a Charles Daly 12ga, it has the short 18 1/2 barrel, rifle sights and I am shooting 2 3/4 in shells. It is sighted for 75yds which is about the distance I expect to see deer. There is a chance I may have a 100yd shot. How much will the slug drop on me? Will be in a ground blind more often than my treestand. Thanks, Tim
Old 11-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Typical Buck

First, make sure your shotgun and barrel are approved for slugs. Second, make sure you are using the proper type of slug for your barrel (is it rifled or smooth bore). As to the drop of the slug, go to the website of the manufacturer to see the chart for your particular round. If you only have a 18 1/2" barrel, the drop may be more than the charts show. See if they list what length of barrel was used. Most slug barrels are 21" to 24".
Old 11-11-2010, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are shooting a smoothbore, use rifled slugs or a hybrid type likeRemington BuckHammers. Sight in 2" high at 50 and you'll be good to 100, if they shoot accurately enough. You may need to try a brand or two before you find a slug that shoots accurately.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would not guess. Find somewhere where you can take a 100-yard shot and see how your gun shoots. Try several brands of slugs. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable shooting an 18.5" barrel in the field. That's a riot/tactical/home defense barrel, to me.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Whackadeer
What the hell kinda gibberish is that. Asked a serious question and get some buddist Qui Chan Cane Shoua Lin priest crap?
Obviously decency and respect went down the toilet with your afterbirth. The man answered your question and provided several variables that can affect the answer.

You may want to work more on your social skills that your slug hunting because they are way off target.

Unappreciative you are and thus I can't say I wish you any luck in your hunting.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Obviously decency and respect went down the toilet with your afterbirth. The man answered your question and provided several variables that can affect the answer.

You may want to work more on your social skills that your slug hunting because they are way off target.

Unappreciative you are and thus I can't say I wish you any luck in your hunting.
There was spam posted in this thread that a mod must have deleted.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Spike

There was some kin of weird gibberish about Budda on here last night. That was what I was responding to. Sorry about how I handled it. Thanks to all that have responded, it is very helpful.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
There was spam posted in this thread that a mod must have deleted.
Alright then I owe our new friend an apology.

I am sorry.