HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Can't find a deer
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 04:20 PM
lswoody
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by djdkman
I have been in same spot...found deer next day..and smelled rank...but meat ended up being ok...after about 1 hour of risning hanging in tree and cutting out anything that didnt look good..... Of course you should try to dress a gut shot animal as soon as possible. I have decided from last gut shot deer, if I gut shoot one again---I will back out and leave it for about 6 hours...then go back in slow to find so I will have better chance at meat still being good..scan with light up ahead and look for gold eyes...if they are still moving back out and come back at first light....bad part part a gut shot deer is they die not only from bleeding but also from spetic shock...so that stuff IS getting into him. The cool temp (being below 50) is an advantage in this case not only will it help sap the life out of him...but will aid in keeping meat. Good luck finding him!
Good advice right here. I gut shot one several years ago, so I got down to check him out got within sight of him and he had his head up, looking right at me and got up and ran off. I backed out and came back early the next morning and found him less than 50 yds. away.