Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
putting a blind in a open field? >

putting a blind in a open field?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

putting a blind in a open field?

Old 11-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Spike

Default putting a blind in a open field?

ive got some land im going to shotgun hunt thats basically farm land, its got a 5 yard wide strip of tall grass splitting the fields up for bedding and a pond for water. should i set my blind up next to the grass and shoot them comin into the field, or should i put it out in the field 100 yards or so away? i know where the deer are and how they move i just want to go about it the best way that i can. thanks guys
Old 11-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

If I'm wrapping my mind around you location, that 5yd-wide grassy strip seems like a
path deer will use. I'd put my blind up away from that location personally.
Nothing like a couple round hay bales to hide in between.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Spike

ive read you can put it in a openfeild for a few days before the hunt and the deer will pay no or little attention to it
Old 11-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of those mirror sided blinds might work.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live So. of you and I would put that blind out now, stake it down for you know how our winds get and leave it. I am putting out my pop-ups this week and will have them in place for 2 weeks from now. I put out 4. 2 for a South wind and 2 for a North wind. I even put our lawn chairs in there ahead of time just to cut down on noise when we get there. We hunt private property. I try to put my pop-ups in a brush pile, downed tree top, honeysuckle patch(my favorite!!) or briar patch. Just something to break it up a bit. All of our corn is out (Thank God!!!!)
Old 11-08-2010, 03:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you meat hunting or bone hunting ...if your meat hunting you can set it up most anywhere down wind and kill a doe BUT the Big bucks will not likely come around if they see something forein or different in their area ...

dd
Old 11-08-2010, 03:48 AM
Spike

Meat hunting, still trying to get my first deer. I haven't had luck with the bow so far, they stay just out of reach. With My shotgun my reach just extended 150 yards lol
Old 11-08-2010, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well in my opinion have it out there atleast a week ahead of time, most deer will grow accustomed to it by then.