Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Am i going to find this buck??? >

Am i going to find this buck???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Am i going to find this buck???

Old 11-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Spike

Default Am i going to find this buck???

I rattled in a nice 135" 8ptr this morning. He came in downwind, on pins and needles. He was cutting a trail 20 yards on my left then zig zagged out to 30 yards before i could stop him. I put the pin on my mark and squezzed the trigger. The lighted nock showed my exactly where it entered...High, almost a spine shot and the arrow was hanging out the other side as he ran off. He stopped about 150 yards out looked back then ran off again. I waited an hour got down and found no blood for 10 yards where i came to a small creek. The arrow was laying 10 yards on the other side of the creek, vanes covered in red blood with still no blood on the ground.
Point 1- I was hunting high up maybe 35', so im hoping on a good angle down and maybe clipping the lung on the other side.
Point 2-He ran into a thick 50 acre lot of thorns and locusts where I hope he lays and dies, gonna give him till tomorrow morning!
Point 3-3 blade Rage was wide open, I really cannot coment on the Rage braodhead because I have never stuck anything with them before, but I know alot of people think they are the best thing since sliced bread.
I know some of you are probably questioning my skills so here they are, I have been bowhunting since 1986, I am not a tournament shooter but i do practice on average of every other day, even in season. I shoot a 68lb 29" draw Mathews Swithcback xt with Carbon Express Maxima arrows.
I hope I find him in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. sorry its so long just very frustrated right now.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Typical Buck

I would be looking this evening before the coyote find him.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

High shots and exit holes don't bleed as much because everything pools up low in the chest cavity (Hence the no blood). If you angle was good you might of clipped more then you think. You won't hurt anything by letting it sit.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you hit as high as you say you did then it most likely went right through his backstraps. If you hit lower then you got the top of both lungs and he is dead now. No reason I would wait until tomorrow morning.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Man I'd be out there this evening like 2 hours before dark.. If you hit it like that it's dead by now go get it before a coyote uses those horns as chew toy.... Good Luck
Old 11-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

He is either dead, dying slowly or u'll have another shot at him. My buddy shot an 8pt just like that but wasn't that high...that buck was chasing does 3 days later with a hole in his back. The thing u have in your favor is how high u were, why u were that high...beats me??? 35 feet is a little excessive but whatever floats your boat (hope u wear a parachute). Anyway with you being up so high the angle works in your favor with the placement of the shot, hopefully u caught that off side lung.

Dont push him!!

He's 135" 8pt ight? that's a damn good 8!! So if it were me....I would be hoping on the one lung hit. WAIT...A whitetail with penetration to "one" lung may live for quite some time and travel a good distance. I wouldnt go anywhere near where u left off. I would be in there tomorrow afternoon with a arrow nocked and going very slow. Bring some buddies to help spot him if he kicks up on u. But if it was a clean pass through the backstraps I would give him a little bit and be back on his tail for the rut. Good luck and i hope u get him.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Old 11-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

so did you find him
Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Spike

I got to my spot early and found only 2 spots of dark blood, both within 30 yards of the shot. We did circles, zig zags, high, low, thick, fields with nothing to show for it. We searched the entire property and then some. Gonna go back and hunt hard, hopefully he will give me another shot!
Old 11-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

That's unfortunate but...it sounds like he is still alive. Good luck and i hope u arrow him down.