Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Herd Management?????

Old 11-05-2010, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Herd Management?????

Okay... so I'm watching Realtree Monster Bucks last night on the Outdoors Network. You know the one, Bill Jordan and his son sit around the TV and watch video's of past hunts. Well last night Lee Lakosky was with them (again) and were talking about herd management, and Lee said that in his county in Iowa there are 5000+ Doe tags for hunters to buy, and if a person wanted to they (1 person) could buy them all. (WOW!!!) But what really got me was when Lee said that a few yeas ago, they had taken over 200 Does off of 1 property! Now thats ALOT of deer and I really didn't know what to think about it....
Old 11-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think Lee puts a lot of time and money on his land and leases. I don't know how much land he has, but if the buck/doe ratio was bad then the only way to correct it is to shoot a lot of does. Makes you wonder how many they shoot on all the properties they have.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah.... and hopefully all that venison is donated to a good cause!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remember

that's not you, and they get paid an income/salary for you watching the ads on the television show.

Nothing like the average Joe hunter comparing his hunting life with the "Professionals." Going to come up a little short.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Valentine
that's not you, and they get paid an income/salary for you watching the ads on the television show.

Nothing like the average Joe hunter comparing his hunting life with the "Professionals." Going to come up a little short.
huh? who compared?