Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 what to  store  the  hunting  gear in? >

what to store the hunting gear in?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what to store the hunting gear in?

Old 07-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default what to store the hunting gear in?

i plan on useing a plastic container. will this work because they do give off a smell.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:38 PM

Default RE: what to store the hunting gear in?

I washed mine out with water and a little scent away shampoo, Then sprinkeld in some banking soda.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been using rubbermaid containers for years. I always wash them out with soap and water, then let them dry outside and sprinkle some baking soda in a leave closed for a few weeks when new. For prep. for season, I line the bottom of my conatiners with field materials from the area I will be hunting(Dirt, branches, leaves, etc). Wash my camo and place them in the appropriate container. I also label my containers as I do have several areas I hunt and sets of camo. Wash my camo in arm & hammer no scent/ no brightner laundry detergent, extra rinse cycle & air dry outside inside out. If you have a wife, girlfriend or mom like mine, who likes the fabric softners, etc, then run a full cycle a few times with just water to remove any risdue from her pretty smelling stuff and it will remove excess brightners as well.

For offseason storage I wash camo and add some baking soda.

You could buy waffers or scent lok bags, if you choose instead of the above technique. IMHO the most important part is ensure your camo is kept clean, use natural no scent/no brightners added laundry soap and stored in some sort of containment system to help minimize foreign odours.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I use scent free plastic bags from Hunter Specialities to store mine . Unscented garbage bags work too , but aren' t very durable . If you wash your gear with unscented detergent before going out smell won' t be a problem .
Old 07-16-2003, 07:10 AM

For prep. for season, I line the bottom of my conatiners with field materials from the area I will be hunting(Dirt, branches, leaves, etc).
I do the same thing. If done early in the off season and again in the spring, and once more in the pre-season it can really add a smell to the clothes. A couple of handfulls of pine branches, dirt, chopped grass, whatever is local, and the clothes really pick up that smell. Dirt works well but can get into the clothes and itch if it is not picked carefully.

Chubber
Old 07-16-2003, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

I use the large Rubbermaid containers to store
all my clothing and gear at home...and I use
HS Scents zippered/storage bags when I go
afield, they take much less room in my truck.
I do keep all my charcoal clothing in one of
the HS bags year around, they seem to be
a bit more ' air tight' then the Rubbermaid
containers.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like others have mentioned, I too, store my hunting clothes in Rubber Maid containers. I wash them in Baking Soda before the season, let them dry outside on the line and then put fresh (woody' smell stuff) from my area in the container. Since I do use baking Baking Soda I make certain all my hunting clothes are rinsed completely. Baking Soda is designed to absorb smells and odors that it comes in contact with and if some residue is left behind, those odors may be undesirable. I also use zip-lock bags for those small items that I constantly take with me in the woods and store them with my clothes. There may be (are) other more sophisticated ways to help in being scent free, but this has worked well for me over the years....Good Luck.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chubber, right you are about dirt and stuff itching the skin. It took me a few years but I have developed a fix to that problem. I line the bottom of my containers with field material and then place a grate with chicken wire and the frame is willow branches(since it is dominat in my areas). This holds the clothes off direct contact, still allows them to absorb the material scent & the frame is added natural scent. Big bonus no itchy!!!!!!!!!

As I always say: " If the women don' t find you Handsome at least they should find you Handy!!!!" (stolen quote from " Red Green" )
Old 07-16-2003, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Skeeter...so who’s Red Green ?? Just kidding EH. Sounds like you have your act together. I’ll have to try your set up. Better start now, hunting is coming up soon.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:51 AM

I use a big rubbermaid container as well and I also put a couple of scent wafers in it with all my hunting gear!!!!!!!!! [:-] Brampton Mike [8D]

Quick Reply: what to store the hunting gear in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.